Thielsen this weekend

rocky_joe

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably won't be alone. The last time I went there were lots of people. You don't need a rope for the climb. I've seen people use a rope to climb the column at the top but I've also seen older women with no climbing experience go up it without a rope.

Yeah, totally a comfort level thing. I went up a couple few years back on my own. I went ahead and climbed the summit pinnacle. A couple guys that came up behind me didn't.

If you do, I'd downclimb carefully.

I had read that most people climb unroped. And, the rock is solid, which is nice.

Thielson is completely blown out of proportion by some people. It's easy class 4 in most places with a class 5 move or two if you go looking for it. Take your time and enjoy the view. Watch out for the newbs that are roped up on the summit pitch. They will be the most dangerous thing on this hill. I've heard people rate the summit pinnacle as high as 5.6 which is TOTALY rediculous. It can be done without making ANY class 5 moves. On the other hand...if you are just getting into this and unfamilair with class 4 scrambling then this may not be the best choice for a solo. It is quite exposed and a fall could be fatal. If you are comfortable on class 4 you will have a blast. If not... you are going to soil your pants.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

that's good to hear. i'd been hearing worse. so it's nice to get some easier reviews of the climb. i'm more of a rock climber starting into alpine so a class 4 shouldn't give me much trouble and i love the exposure...nothing lie the 4th pitch on "Wherever

I May Roam" at smith. looking foward to my climb and thanks again guys.