This ain't your Grampas' Depression...

fear_and_greed

Some random thoughts...

The banking system house of cards is about to implode. Society is comprehensively bankrupt and is defaulting on loans at record rates. When there is no more money to loan, from non existent companies, to no more credit worthy people, the economy will stop.

GM stock is just a short time away from reaching $0.00. Peoples savings, retirement funds are disappearing in a stock market that just ran out of smoke and mirrors.

Oil prices are making new highs everyday. The spin off effects will touch all aspects of everyday life. Less money for "luxuries" and necessitities.

Houses are now worth less than the mortgages owed in some areas.

Manufacturing has moved offshore. Nothing is made in the USA anymore. The workforce has been reduced to service industry drones.

Millions of family farms and their knowledge have disappeared, replaced by multinational agri business' that have just started to twist the knife. Recent floods in Iowa will have a big effect on grain prices.

Surburban sprawl has consumed the small towns and taken the local culture away.

The airlines are going to merge and consolidate or go under until there are none left.

Infrastructure is crumbling, education is getting cutback.

The fiasco in Iraq continues and will soon probably spread to Iran.

It's like watching a slow motion train wreck....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grandpa's depression???

No it ain't. It ain't even technically a recession. It's an economic slowdown and a bear market. If you've been alive and alert for any significant length of time, you'd have seen several of these trends come and go for various reasons which were in great need of correction anyway. The last big one was the so-called dot.com fiasco a few years ago. You can be pessimistic, but the modern economy always bounces back and there's money to be made on both the down and up swings.

Run and hide!!!!!

adviceHumanAngelo.jpg

Some random thoughts...

The banking system house of cards is about to implode. Society is comprehensively bankrupt and is defaulting on loans at record rates. When there is no more money to loan, from non existent companies, to no more credit worthy people, the economy will stop.

GM stock is just a short time away from reaching $0.00. Peoples savings, retirement funds are disappearing in a stock market that just ran out of smoke and mirrors.

Oil prices are making new highs everyday. The spin off effects will touch all aspects of everyday life. Less money for "luxuries" and necessitities.

Manufacturing has moved offshore. Nothing is made in the USA anymore. The workforce has been reduced to service industry drones.

Millions of family farms and their knowledge have disappeared, replaced by multinational agri business' that have just started to twist the knife. Recent floods in Iowa will have a big effect on grain prices.

The airlines are going to merge and consolidate or go under until there are none left.

"But other than that, how did you like the play Mrs Lincoln?"

Some random thoughts...

All I read is blah blah blah...Seriously, what the fuck are you even talking about? Keep your stream-of-consciousness ramblings to yourself and take a fucking valium.

Grandpa's depression???

No it ain't. It ain't even technically a recession.

Technically correct (from Wikipedia):

In the United States, the National Bureau of Economic Research's (NBER) Business Cycle Dating Committee ultimately decides whether the economy has fallen into a recession. The NBER defines a recession as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production and wholesale-retail sales."[1]

and

Because of the way a recession is defined, the beginning (peak in the economic cycle) or end (trough) of a recession can only be identified after the change in the trend has been present for several months.

The 2001 recession was announced by the NBER in November 2001[9], which later turned out to be the truth. Thus the recession ended the month it was announced by the NBER. In July 1981 the NBER declared an end to a six-month recession from January to July 1980, the last year of Jimmy Carter's presidency. For the 1981-82 recession, which was during President Reagan's first term, the NBER announced the July 1981 peak in January 1983, and the November 1982 trough in July 1983.[10]

Economist Robert J. Gordon, a member of the NBER committee has stated that any announcement about the start of a new recession starting in 2008 is unlikely before the last few months of 2008 at the earliest[11]

So, maybe yes, maybe no. There are a lot of factors at play, both nationally and across the world. I think it's a given that a lot of things are changing, a situation that tends to feed both fear and greed. :laf:

Depression? What the hell are you talking about? Everytime there's a slight downturn, idiots think its the end of the world...

Let's see:

1. record life expectancy

2. record low unemployment

3. unprecedented economic growth over the past 25 years

4. record "happiness" levels, worldwide (announced last week)

5. booming economic growth and freedom in India and China (only 1/3 of the world's people)

6. continual reductions in pollution for the past 50 years

7. unprecedented freedom of movement, worldwide

For the past 250 years, life has continually improved in almost every concievable way. Things just keep getting better, and they will continue to do so... anyone who doesn't recognize this is some kind of massive idiot.

Depression? What the hell are you talking about? Everytime there's a slight downturn, idiots think its the end of the world...

Let's see:

1. record life expectancy

2. record low unemployment

3. unprecedented economic growth over the past 25 years

4. record "happiness" levels, worldwide (announced last week)

5. booming economic growth and freedom in India and China (only 1/3 of the world's people)

6. continual reductions in pollution for the past 50 years

7. unprecedented freedom of movement, worldwide

For the past 250 years, life has continually improved in almost every concievable way. Things just keep getting better, and they will continue to do so... anyone who doesn't recognize this is some kind of massive idiot.

Bravo, Dr. Pangloss! This must truly be the best of all possible worlds!

The only people that think the US is not in a recession have their heads buried in the sand. Depression is looming large.

The global banking system is on life support. Money is being pumped in to prop up failing institutions and to keep their "creative" financial instruments from dropping to zero. The banks are writing down the value of their assets as property values plummet.

Since the Fed started several new money auctions in Decemeber 07 and March 08 , some $1 Trillion has been snapped up in the form of 28 day loans which are secured by shaky notes ultimately being paid off by Joe Average homeowner. If he's still making those mortgage payments.

It doesn't take to much foresight to see if unemployment figures reach new highs, a tipping point is going to happen.

Since the price of oil is interconnected to all parts of the econmony and is now about $120 a barrel higher than it was when the dot com bubble burst in 02,a lot of people are going to be wiped out.

Good thing I still have the bomb-shelter I built during the Y2K scare.

I wish I'd taken peoples advice and bought myself an AK-47 for protection!

Now is the time brother. Stock up while times are good (legally speaking). No better time than now to get those kinds of things. They are good investments as well. Rember what a pre-bad C-mag cost? I am thinking about getting another M-4 just for shits and giggles.

Good thing I still have the bomb-shelter I built during the Y2K scare.

I wish I'd taken peoples advice and bought myself an AK-47 for protection!

Now is the time brother. Stock up while times are good (legally speaking). No better time than now to get those kinds of things. They are good investments as well. Rember what a pre-bad C-mag cost? I am thinking about getting another M-4 just for shits and giggles.

sometimes you frighten me

Will 10,000 rounds be enough?

How many grenades will I need?

Depends on the size of your property, the distance to the fence, available cover in throwing distance etc. 10,000 would be good, but you might want to buy a lot of mags; combat re-loads are a bitch when you gotta fill up your mag first. Just a thought.

make sure they are rocket-propelled. also, you could use some shoulder-launched SAM's to take out those black helicopters

• 2 weeks later...