[TR] Maroon Peak - Solo - Colorado 6/26/2008

Trip: Maroon Peak - Solo - Colorado

Date: 6/26/2008

Trip Report:

DSC_1093.JPG

I was down in Colorado for a week for some work - Maroon Bells and Capitol were both on my list. Maroon was a shorter hike in so I opted for that. After searching for a climbing partner online for a week or so, with no takers, I decided to head to the mountains solo. No sense just sitting in the hotel room on my day off with a weather forecast of perfect…

I was staying in New Castle and decided that I would get better sleep in the hotel than in the rental car at the trail head. So, at midnight I woke up and made the drive to Aspen after 3 hrs of sleep. From Aspen, it is only a short drive to Maroon Lake and the trail head. There is a $10 fee you have to pay to park ‘overnight’.

I started hiking at 2am. The weather was fantastic and the stars were out in full. The moon lit up the peaks with a pale glow and I could see my route from the car. Looked great, plenty of snow with the deep pack this winter. I had intended to take the Bell Cord couloir, but by my own mistake, took a different route (more on that later).

DSC_0876.JPG

After a short approach (maybe 2 mi or so) I hit the snow. Trekking poles went away and the ice axe and crampons came out of the pack.

DSC_0880.JPG

Once I climbed up a short stretch, I entered what I thought was the Bell Cord. I climbed for a while and ended up hitting a 3 story tall sheer wall of rock. No way I’m climbing over that solo… So I headed back down a ways and continued up to the left. After making my way through the ‘garbage chute’ (a narrow snow corridor with rock walls to either side) I made it to another basin. This is where you need to traverse to the right to head up the Bell Cord. I took a look, and decided to continue heading up the snow (Variation 24.3V in Roach’s book). There was still plenty of snow in the Bell Cord and 2 other teams of two went up it on that day.

Looking up the route I took (to the right):

DSC_0905.JPG

Some wet snow slide:

DSC_0912.JPG

Looking back at Maroon lake and Pyramid:

DSC_0927.JPG

After finishing the couloir to the right of Southeast couloir (Var 24.3V), I reached a small col just north of point 13,753. From here, an ascending traverse along the south ridge and east face will get you to the summit (class 3 and 4).

DSC_1023.JPG

Class 3 and 4 to the summit:

DSC_1053.JPG

The weather on the summit was absolutely gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky. I guess this is not common on a summer afternoon in Colorado where afternoon thunderstorms are quite frequent. I had to turn down an offer from another team to bag North Maroon as well due to an upset stomach (tried a new flavor of power bar – some new flavor – creamy citrus or something).

DSC_1048.JPG

On the summit with N.Maroon in the background:

DSC_1047.JPG

I ended up spending 1.5 hrs on the summit trying to fight the upwelling power bar and dehydrated head ache. I should have just gone down, but resting and enjoying the views felt the best at the time. Down climbing the class 3 and 4 loose rock led me back to the col…glasading down the couloir. I was out of water and saw a little trickle on a cliff near by. So I decided to wet my mouth. I went over and got under the trickle when I heard some cracking and falling rock. Just then, 5 huge boulders and a table sized ‘blade’ rock ripped down the glasade tube that I had just been in… Wow, I had just broken one of my basic mountain rules – get off the mountain early to avoid rock fall. A scary near miss. I'm sure everyone that has spent some time in the mountains have a rock fall story as well...

The glasade/down climb back to the base was eventless, luckily. But I was watching my back, looking for rock the whole time.

DSC_1083.JPG

There are busses that take about 10 million people from Aspen to the Maroon Bells every day, and the valley was flooded with them. I stopped and talked to just about half of them on my way back to the car. The weather was great, lots of snow pack, and a beautiful mountain. Fun times.

DSC_1087.JPG

Gear Notes:

Crampons and ice axe.

I took a rope for rappels if needed, not really needed.

Approach Notes:

Super easy short approach.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic