TR: Marley Crags

Ruprechkt

I found myself over in Worthleavin for an afternoon last week. Temp was in the mid 90s, so we sought shade. The Marley crags in Tumwater canyon face NE, so it seemed like a good choice. The trail follows the river for a bit, then fades into flat filled with burnt deadfall, nettles, berry bushes and various other prickly stuff. (Undergrowth is not just a wetside phenomenon). Bushwacked up a steep hill in the sun, utilizing the VSBS (vegatation self belay system). Got heatstoke, got to the climbs and the shade, honored Bob, and was miraculously healed.

Climbed a fun 5.8 handcrack in the middle of the lower slab (Root, Rock, Reggae) and TR'd Rastaman Vibration (10a) next to it. A little further up hill is Soul Train, a 10a on clean solid rock with specific positive features that made for interesting climbing. Bolts with 1 optional gear placement. Another 5 minutes up the hill is Crips in Motown, 5.9. This climb has a nice position with great views. Begin with a thinnish finger crack for maybe 15-20 feet. After placing a little orange metolius tcu, I managed to spontanously pitch off. Its always a little surprising when you feel like you're solid and next thing you know you're plunging. The crack leads to a nice arete with a couple bolts and good gear. There's some interesting variations possible as you climb, and the last move out over a small roof has great exposure!

Jumped in the river to cool off on the way back. All in all, I'd definitely recommend the area as a destination for a really hot afternoon some time. There's a good variety of crack and face climbs, all of which are shaded past noon or so. The approach is warm and took us over an hour, but I don't think we followed the path of least resistance.

And yes, proper tribute was paid to the namesake of the area ~ cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Ruprechkt (edited 07-15-2001).]

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic