Friday AM weight in

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hhaha, sorry Tokogirl, yes i have been trying to gain weight in muscle. Its my new year res to get up to 215 lbs.

I was curious because I would like to gain some muscle weight. I am down to just 130lbs on my 5'8"s but am trying to gain some muscle/strength. I am assuming you have been doing some sort of protein shakes/lifting program?

Hhaha, sorry Tokogirl, yes i have been trying to gain weight in muscle. Its my new year res to get up to 215 lbs.

I was curious because I would like to gain some muscle weight. I am down to just 130lbs on my 5'8"s but am trying to gain some muscle/strength. I am assuming you have been doing some sort of protein shakes/lifting program?

The beginning of summer I started out going to the gym around 4-6 days a week depending on what was going on. When I went to the gym I would fill up a shake bottle think with a little bit of ice then milk. I would usually do one body part a day if I had a full week (you should do the body part you wanted to gain the most in the beginning of the week). About 8 reps, three sets on almost all exercises. I wanted to improve my legs so I did legs Monday, biceps Tuesday etcetera, etcetera. I would do abs at the end of my strength training then sometime so some cardio (stair climber, mostly) but sometimes some free spinning classes. After my workout id go back to my car, mix whey protein with the milk and drink. I have not experimented with anything but whey protein much. Making time to go to the gym may be hard at first but it gets better. As much as I hated it at first diets get better when you start see results. What sorta workout are you looking for? Anything else I can help you with?

Good luck,

Collin

I guess a bit more climbing specific. Have any recommendation on free weight exercies? I have been working at strength slowly ( X 2 years), due to an injury, I have to take it easy and listen to my body. I am doing general strength training/core strength as I had lost a bit of muscle mass in my upper back and shoulders.

Have to say that I have never been a gym person like you say you get into a routine.

I am not sure about protein powders as I seem to shun them. Are protein powders a must?

Focus on the muscles that you wear out first when climbing... There are many good sites online that will help you. I love whey protein and would not want to not use it but it is up to you. Just look up good body building foods because diet as you probabaly know is what will get you the gains you want. If its rock climbing you do, you might want to do high reps around 15 or more one week aqnd low reps (around 6-10) the next week.

I have always prefered Alpine climbing but want to be able to tackle a bit harder climbs and will do some more cragging this year. I have always done more reps with lighter weight but have been reading more about mixing it up with heavy/fewer reps.

I eat a healthy and balanced diet but the whey powder is something I know works for many folks.

Thanks again Collin!

My 2c on powders: I see them as time savers, when, for example, you have to work and aren't around a kitchen all day to fix meals, you can shake it up in the morning and later in the day ingest a known quantity of something (esp important in weight-loss mode) as far as grams of fat, protein, carb, etc. Also I hear that the optimal time after weight training for recovery and development to ingest protein is within a half hour, and whey protein has an optimal amino profile for this. I'm no expert, just regurgitating what I've read elsewhere, but the way I understand, it is important to get enough protein when training, as, if you don't, and over-compensate your calories with carbs or fat in your diet, then your body might actually break down protein from muscle to compensate. All that time spent training, one wants to get all the value from it. It's real easy to max out on fat intake with various foods during the day, and protein powder lets one to make up that deficit.

Something I'm experimenting with, besides whey protein, is brewer's yeast, which is protein rich with a good amino profile, and loaded with minerals, vitamins. It tastes like a salty mushroom broth when mixed with water, so that takes some getting used to.

Just curious, jclements, why is your avatar a pic of a headstone with "Pogue" inscribed upon it?

There's a story that several may recall of something shitty I said a year or so ago, for which I was called out on and I apologized for. I put it up there to remind myself how easy it is to be an asshole online. What I write now is what I'll say in person.

Just curious, jclements, why is your avatar a pic of a headstone with "Pogue" inscribed upon it?

There's a story that several may recall of something shitty I said a year or so ago, for which I was called out on and I apologized for. I put it up there to remind myself how easy it is to be an asshole online. What I write now is what I'll say in person.

I just reviewed your list of posts, and read through the "multiple posts to the same thread" batch from about a year ago, figuring that there would be rebuttals/retractions/continuing discussion/etc. and didn't find anything noteworthy to apologize for, retract, or get "called out" for. Guess I missed the fun. Care to send me a link via PM, cuz now you got me so fuq'n curious I won't be able to sleep tonight! :laf: And I still don't get what this has to do with a headstone marked Pogue? :confused:

Yeah, it was deleted, strangely enough.

To be honest, after a long period of inactivity last year, I posted something and saw the pic and thought, oh yeah, thinking that it wasn't relevant anymore. I'd rather forget the whole thing.

I'll send a PM if ya just hafta know, but it isn't that terribly juicy, considering a lot of the flame threads that stand on these boards. The irony is that that thread was an example of someone actually apologizing for being a dick and then it gets deleted...

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread... So, fitness? I weigh 192, goal is 180 by Apr 1.