Shuksan

letsroll

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it 2 years ago w/o skis or snowshoes. I would go as far as saying the bushwack is impossible with skis. It's just a hell-walk as it is, without skis. Every one of us (3) broke at leas 1 pole and riped some clothing... there where blood... It took us 19 hours to hike back to the Baker ski-area. Yes, it is that bad. I wouldn't do it again for anything. Advice: go around to the right, follow a ski-slope up and then the ridge to Shuksan. Looks long (and it is) but the bushwack is just wack. I got some gnarly pics if you're interested.

I can't really see why you would want skis on the climb at all. There's no snow covered approach where they would be useful. And skiing down would be risky considering the crevasses.

Good luck

For what its worth, I've skied the White Salmon Glacier on Memorial Day weekend in a more normal snow year and found it quite pleasant. They didn't help get in or out of there, though.

By the way: it is no trouble dragging skis through the bushes if you know how to do it. Tie your skis together (bottoms together) and hang them from the side of your pack so you can carry them horizontally, aligned in the direction of travel with tips behind you. They should ride at a comfortable level for an arm rest, and hang so they balance or maybe the tails tend to drop when you take your arm off the armrest. This is the Kodiak method.

On the other hand, we have had a lot of snow this year. The epic bushwhack could be covered.

I recommend taking skis and checking out the scene from the side of the resort. You can see all the way to the sadlle and still walk back to you car to change gear.

If it isn't covered, be prepared for an old-fashioned sufferfest. Bring some leather gloves for the devil's club belays. :lmao:

Looking to do the NF. Wondering if skis would skill be usefull getting in there? Or how long would I have to carry them? Doing the bushwack with ski boots would not be fun.

Leave the skis at home. I'm typing up a TR for a Fisher Chimneys weekend adventure I just got home from.

We tromped around in boots just fine. Although there is still a shit ton of snow, its pretty consolidated now.

Anyone up on the Sulphide last weekend?? Heading up tomorrow and wondering how much trail is melted out before we start skinning and how the summit gully is looking. Should we pack shoes and switch to boots etc... Any info is great!!