Lyme disease

DPS

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contracted Lyme Disease back when I lived in CT - unfortunately, I had been travelling around the US for a couple months prior to getting sick, camping, so the doctors didn't know what I had at first. Also, this was back when Lyme Disease was relatively unknown, so the CDC got involved and I was put in one of those cool vacuum sealed isolation rooms.

Basically, I spent a week in the hospital with a fever north of 105 with multiple IVs. I don't really remember much of that week, since I was so out of it, but the recovery after getting out of the hospital took about a month before I was back to normal.

The wost part was that I had to get a spinal tap, which resulted in something called the "spinal tap headache" - essentially, I had a non-stop headache which could only be alleved by lying perfectly still with my head below the level of my feet. Medicine did no good. The headache lasted three weeks. 24/7 for three weeks.

Long term, I'm pretty much fine - I just have some minor arthritis in my hips and shoulders, and I have difficulty swallowing, occassionally. Apparently, these are common side-effects if you don't catch it in time.

LD sucked the life right outta my mom for about five years. :( It was hard to see her like that, and we started believing it was the way things were going to stay.

However, last year she turned a corner after being on a different course of antibiotics (for an unrelated illness). Now she's back to her bright, energetic self and going like a house on fire. It was a complete turnaround. :tup:

Hang in there!

As long as you dont have a heart block from it or any neurological symptoms, myocarditis, ect you should be fine. You wont get rid of it persay, but you will cause it to go dormant.

Are they giving you ceftriaxone? I would talk to at least a few docs about long term anti-bios as some feel that it is possibly the reason that many of the signs and symptoms are presenting with "chronic lyme disease."

I have treated one guy for it, but it was early onset. From what I hear though, as long as you have not come out with any kinds of neurological, cardiac or arthritic s/s, you should stay that way.

Good luck. I will ask one of the epidemiology docs tomorrow and get back to you. take care.

The wost part was that I had to get a spinal tap, which resulted in something called the "spinal tap headache" - essentially, I had a non-stop headache which could only be alleved by lying perfectly still with my head below the level of my feet. Medicine did no good. The headache lasted three weeks. 24/7 for three weeks.

Wow. You must have been dealing with the best of the best.

DPS, if you were going get tapped, it would have happened already. For future reference to anyone else that gets a headache following a lumbar puncture, this should last a day or two, at most, and is quite common. Any longer than that, you should be requesting a blood patch. The headache is caused by your CSF continuing to leak from the hole they punched in your spine because you dont have clotting factors in your CSF, so they have to go in and patch the hole with, well, blood. Three weeks is quite scary, its amazing you didnt pick up a secondary infection.

I've got lyme disease-

I didn't present the bullseye rash, but just a general rash. After two full cycles of antibiotics (azithromyocin and cipro), I still test positive.

Mainly, I'm just tired, but occasionally my joints hurt beyond belief. You should maintain a good diet, rich in aminos and such. I'm totally slacking off on the diet, and I could sleep like 15 hours a day. I still climb all the time and ride my bike. No sweat dude, you'll be all right.