Hiking Boots

sk

Okay, I went hiking last weekend (just 5 miles) in my little low top light weight Merrell vibrams. I had my special made footbeds in them, and even after acupuncture on monday my feet feel like someone put them in a trash compactor. So here is the question, Will heavier boots with a more stiff sole resolve some of my foot pain issues? guesses and personal experience stories welcome...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I ran into a group of older climbers (60's and 70's) as they were on their way out from climbing Olympus. They were all plodding down the trail in double plastic boots saying they love the foot and ankle support.

You could always try renting a pair for a weekend at one of the local climbing shop's and see how they do.

Sorrry to hear the pigs hurt though!! :(

What kind of foot pain do you have Muffy? Is it around the arch, ball of the foot heel?

It could be that those sooped up tennies didn't have enough support for the type of terrain or pack you were carrying. So, you could be suffering from plantar fascia pain.

Muffy-

It's not the Merrells, it is the costly special footbeds.

Just use the Merrells and Thorlo "light hiker" model sox and walk five times a week, different distances and different speeds and elevation gains. Start out easy, back off when it hurts. "No brain, no gain". Your complicated foot muscles, tendons and tissues will adapt in a few weeks.

Ankle support is a myth, propounded by boot makers and ski boot folks who just transfer stress to the knees. 95% of the PCT folks just use GoreTex type shoes like your Merrells. (I met one gal who had hiked to Oregon from Mexico in flop-flops because she got blisters from her boots the first few days.) Feet are strong (no, not stinky). ;-))

What kind of foot pain do you have Muffy? Is it around the arch, ball of the foot heel?

It could be that those sooped up tennies didn't have enough support for the type of terrain or pack you were carrying. So, you could be suffering from plantar fascia pain.

It is kinda like Planter Fascitis.... but it is arthritis in the bones and soft tissues of both feet. The majority of the pain is in the toes heels and at the arch. I have some pain on the top of my foot. The thing that i am struggeling with is that my feet kill if i wear shoes that have too much support or not enough support... is there any one who makes custom hikers???

Muffy-

It's not the Merrells, it is the costly special footbeds.

Just use the Merrells and Thorlo "light hiker" model sox and walk five times a week, different distances and different speeds and elevation gains. Start out easy, back off when it hurts. "No brain, no gain". Your complicated foot muscles, tendons and tissues will adapt in a few weeks.

Ankle support is a myth, propounded by boot makers and ski boot folks who just transfer stress to the knees. 95% of the PCT folks just use GoreTex type shoes like your Merrells. (I met one gal who had hiked to Oregon from Mexico in flop-flops because she got blisters from her boots the first few days.) Feet are strong (no, not stinky). ;-))

my feet used to be like that (STRONG not stinky :crazy: ). (and yes mikey i am still doing my exercises but it just isn't helping as much) but now i hurt if i am on my feet for more than a few minutes... shoes or no shoes.

i have been hiking in Kobe 2's for the last few years. No foot pain at all.

kobe 2s

adidas-crazy-kobe-2-2.jpg

Like marshmallows for your feets!

dude those are UGLY :sick:

But they match my OUTFIT! dammit

72080.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: you are so right it does. your outfit is called "girl repellant" ;)

"It is kinda like Planter Fascitis.... but it is arthritis in the bones and soft tissues of both feet. The majority of the pain is in the toes heels and at the arch. I have some pain on the top of my foot. The thing that i am struggeling with is that my feet kill if i wear shoes that have too much support or not enough support... is there any one who makes custom hikers???"

Muffy-

If you live near Bend Oregon, there is a new store dedicated to high level runners and hikers. The store is owned by Rod Bien who also owns "Patagonia by Pandoras Backpack" in Bend. Rod is an elete long distance trail runner and a very dedicated guy.

Here is a link to Rod Bien:

http://www.fleetfeetbend.com/

--trad-guy

Edited by trad_guy