Mount Stuart Beta

jbeissel

Anybody know if there are any good bivy sites at the base of the lower North Ridge? I was thinking about hiking in there from Ingalls, biving them going for the complete the next day. It'd be nice to have a car camping bivy site next to the base.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know if there are any good bivy sites at the base of the lower North Ridge? I was thinking about hiking in there from Ingalls, biving them going for the complete the next day. It'd be nice to have a car camping bivy site next to the base.

Take your pick.

The most obvious place would be where the ridge between Mountaineer crk and Stuart lk abbuts Stuart. From there it is about 500 ft to the base of the climb.

When we did the UR, we camped some distance past Ingalls lake, on the way toward Goat Pass (lovely spot with company... mountain goats). We climbed the UR in one day from that camp, descending via Cascadian couloir. We simul-climbed long portions of the ridge, up to the gendarme. You will want rock shoes for the Gendarme pitches. We had Aluminum strap-on crampons on mid-weight hiking boots, and aluminum ice axes. Getting back to camp via Cascadian is a long way, but straightforward and non-technical. If you're reasonably efficient on alpine, you shouldn't need to bivy on the ridge. I think the lack of water makes this option unappealing.

We have a detailed report, pics, etc, on our site:

www.ericandlucie.com

Hope this helps. Have a great time! If you haven't been in the Cascades before, you'll love it. For that reason alone, it would be a shame to do this car to car (not to mention a major pain).