Climbing before Marriage

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to not be in this situation, but I was talking with a friend I havent seen in a few years over break and he had an interesting if ridiculous dilemma I thought I would share:

Dudeman's GF climbs way hard, he gets free TRs on anything, she models in her spare time, pretty much is the cute crag girl we all wish we had as a partner, but she has no sense of humor and is very droll (what else do you expect out of a Canadian anyway?). He has been in a holding pattern with her for quite some time. He said that he was to the point of needing to "break up or get married" Then I saw him again a week ago and said that when he gets home from the roadtrip he was on, and she wasn't home, they musta broken up. And if she IS there, they will probably be getting married. Luckily for him, she was gone when he got home.

"Break up or get married" seems like the biggest non issue you could EVER have!!! I am pretty sure the answer to that question is obvious if you even have the thought.

My last climb as a single man...20 minutes before the wedding, climbing our wall in the backyard for the guests in 1991. It was the honeymoon that sucked...most of it spent at Harborview...that info is found elsewhere on this site.

(note the kick ass wedding attire :P )

wedding_climb.jpg

"Break up or get married" seems like the biggest non issue you could EVER have!!! I am pretty sure the answer to that question is obvious if you even have the thought.

I don't know, that could be true. But for me, the "to have kids or not" has been one of the bigger "non-dilemmas" in my life. Of course, I ain't done living yet so I expect bigger issues to unfold. Life has a way of doing that...

Glad to hear things worked out for your friend. Sounds like he'll probably be happier and get to live the life he wants to live. And I hope his ex GF finds the right man for her. :tup:

Edited by archenemy

• 3 weeks later...

I climb all the time..I have a girlfriend I still climb all the time..

I plan my girlfriend time around bad weather..she knows know different so why would she have a problem with it?

you see its all about consitency..start lazin around the house and she gets used to you being around and its over..

You can take it further and only plan vacations with her during shoulder seasons, October to December, no ice to wet for rock

April-June Alpine is crap and only some routes are dry at the crag

its really quite simple

Even kids is a marginal reason to get married. There are many valid reasons to get married or not. If you're religious for example. Some people have psychological hang ups that are irrationally cured or made worse by marriage. There's no recipe and it's a personal decision that hopefully adds to a long happy life.