Kilimanjaro packing

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duffels are a good way to go. They typically get pretty trashed on trips like this so having one that's sturdy and can hold up to a lot of wear and tear is useful.

You will just carry a daypack during while moving from camp to camp.

I'd pack some Diamox too, especially if your group is doing the typical fast Kilimanjaro ascent.

If you are going to take a duffel bag anyway, then go ahead and bring one and they will use it. If you are traveling light with just your backpack, then just give them your backpack and have them provide you with a daypack. I wouldn't pack a duffel just for this trip - they are more than capable of making your backpack work.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest bringing something that you don't care too much about, because it will get trashed. It doesn't matter if it is a pack or duffle since most of the porters carry everything on there heads, even the packs.

Again I would suggest doing on of the other mountains in East Africa over doing Kilimanjaro. It is way overrate because of its size. Mt. Kenya is incredible for climbing, The Rwenzoris has such scenic trekking and you can get into some really remote places if you got the time and Mt. Meru again is very scenic climb. Kili I found dirty, overcrowded, too expensive, and not to scenic.

Yeah but where else can you get someone to set up your tent and serve you beer and popcorn at 17,000 feet?

India.

Also the other mountains I mentioned in East Africa, but more around 14,000 feet. On the Rwenzoris trip we had one guy specifically as a beer porter.

Yeah but where else can you get someone to set up your tent and serve you beer and popcorn at 17,000 feet?

India.

Also the other mountains I mentioned in East Africa, but more around 14,000 feet. On the Rwenzoris trip we had one guy specifically as a beer porter.

yeah but that beer goes down a lot better at 17k. :brew:

I would definitely recommend a duffel for the trip. Each porter is only allowed to carry a certain amount of weight, and a duffel will save you a couple of extra pounds. I found a cheap, but thick sided duffel when I went (Target had nice ones for ~$30).

I would also recommend putting anything you don't want wet inside a thick trash bag inside the duffle. Just because a storm is coming doesn't mean the porters will do anything to keep your bag dry.

Have fun!