[TR] Rainier Steamboat Prow - Interglacier 6/22/2008

AlpineK

Trip: Rainier Steamboat Prow - Interglacier

Date: 6/22/2008

Trip Report:

[font:Times New Roman]

Skiing on the Interglacier

I haven't been on or skied on Rainier in ages. I was really psyched to get up on the mountain.

Hugh and I hiked our skis in to Starbow (Glacier Basin :tdown:) on the trip up. After that the route goes straight up the slope to Steamboat Prow. [/font]

View up the Interglacier

343_Interglacier_Base_Medium_Web_view.jpg

[font:Times New Roman] We skied to the ridge crest just short of the top of Steamboat Prow. From hear there was a nice view of the big guy above us. [/font]

Rainier. View up the Emmons glacier

336_Rainier_Medium_Web_view.jpg

[font:Times New Roman] The skiing down was nice. We had nice spring snow up high. The snow got a little thick part way down the glacier, but it wasn't bad. [/font]

View down the Interglacier

338_Interglacier_Top_Medium_Web_view.jpg

[font:Times New Roman] We skied below Starbow down the river. Eventually we decided to cross the river back to the trail side of the valley. This provided an exciting river crossing. We ran into some other folks making the crossing here too. We all had to do some wading. One of the guys in the other group managed to fall in. It was only a stumble though, and it provided all of us with a laugh.

The trip was some nice June skiing. [/font]

Gear Notes:

I took all the standard ski gear. This time I took approach shoes. You don't have to have them, but it sure was nice.

Approach Notes:

The trail in is kind of messy due to some river course shifts. I'd give the trail in a rating of Class 2+ or 3-. It isn't too bad though.

Right now an early start will allow you to start your descent when the snow is in the ideal skiing condition.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic