Gas-out June 29th

NRS

You're assuming people would drive on the day they didn't buy gas.

I agree, however, that not buying gas for one day wouldn't do anything to the prices. This is also why, as akhalteke suggested, a week long use boycott might make more sense. But, it's more about statements and personal experimentation. After that one day (or week) boycott, maybe people will think about how they use their vehicle and find ways of becoming more efficient.

As far as the workers are concerned, well, many gas stations sell more than just fuel, and many people go to those stations for more than just fuel. My guess is most small stations make the majority of their profit off of selling these 'other' items, and not gasoline so their profit margin wouldn't be hurt much, if at all. In fact, I'll be sure to stop by my local convenience store on my bike and pick up a nice cold drink just to make sure I'm not hurting any of the little guys.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ol' FW. Nothing but typical assumptions and misguided insults against "the youth", piled on top of common FOX news rhetoric and a clear lack of reality.

Maybe if people realized that "doing what they can" is a lot better than doing nothing. Of course, with FW's take, doing anything without pushing it to the extreme means you are a hypocrite.

You should always realize, fW, that electricity consumption can't be weighed directly against fossil fuel impact. The % of power in Seattle, for example, is going to be generated by a good deal more renewables than, say, LA. Your arguements are always completely over simplified and do little more than illustrate a bitter streak and chip on your shoulder you have exhibited since I first visited this board.

Exactly WHAT did the world do to you to make you the bitter man you are?

:lmao: Me thinks it is you who is bitter. So tell me, pad wan, which form of electricity generation do your enviro-lib friends prefer? Hydro? No. Your pals are trying to tear down half of Bonneville's generating capacity on The Snake River as we speak. Nuclear? No. Coal? No. (Tacoma gets a fair amount of coal generated capacity from the plant in Centralia.) Wind? No. Bio fuels? Yes...and look what is happening to food production/prices. Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing the wrong thing, don't you think? Unfortunately, knee-jerk libs like you are all too gullible...or want to rely on government to finance their pie-in-the-sky dreams. Use less oil? Hell yes I'm for it. I always hear a lot of ideas, but never do I hear a real plan. What's your plan, Josh?

You're assuming people would drive on the day they didn't buy gas.

Well, let's see...

I got an email today about a gas station boycott planned for June 29th to protest high-prices.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it's pretty easy to avoid filling up for one day. I invite all others sick of lining the pockets of already very well lined pockets to avoid gas stations on the 29th and get others to do the same.

...doesn't sound to me like anything other than a "don't buy gas on xx/yy/zz" campaign. Nothing in there at all about actually using less gas that day - just don't buy any that day.

When I realized I had a drinking problem, I dealt with it by quitting drinking. If I'd decided to deal with it by not buying booze on certain days, I'd still be pissing my life away on a bar stool somewhere, stopping just long enough to fill the fridge to make sure I didn't run out on my "don't buy booze" day.

And as for all those secondary sales other than gasoline, they're called "secondary sales" for a reason. People don't go to gas stations to buy milk and cookies - they go there to buy gas. Once they're there, they might also buy milk and cookies, but if they're not stopping to buy gas, you can bet the milk and cookie sales will be pretty slow too.

Now, if you wanted to start a "don't burn gas on xx/yy/zz" campaign, then maybe I'd be more supportive, but simply not buying gas on any particular day is just distracting people from what's really necessary to effect meaningful change. Fundamentally, it's encouraging people to persist in their belief that high gas prices are someone else's fault, and that if they could just force someone else to change their ways everything would be better.

Quoting what I said doesn't prove your point. It is easy to avoid filling up for one day, especially if you don't drive that day. Maybe the point of the exercise would be lost on people, and I think you're right in saying 'not burning gas' for one day would be a more effective means to get the message across.

I would also guess it is true people go to gas stations primarily for gas...but that doesn't mean if they didn't go there for gas they still wouldn't stop by on the way to wherever it is they're going (on their bikes, or walking) to grab that snack or coffee they would normally have. I've done just that on several occasions (I rarely, if ever buy anything but gas at gas stations).

As far as high gas prices being 'someone else's fault', I think for much of the immediate past it's true. As many have said recently, the large price increases have been most likely due to speculation.

In the end our goals are the same, get people to use less gas. Maybe I just need to work on semantics.

I got an email today about a gas station boycott planned for June 29th to protest high-prices.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it's pretty easy to avoid filling up for one day. I invite all others sick of lining the pockets of already very well lined pockets to avoid gas stations on the 29th and get others to do the same.

:lmao: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AH............

Thanks for that. Say, please tell me you're not voting.... are you?

Oh Oh Oh, BTW, I almost forgot: have a bridge I'll sell ya at a very reasonable price. I'll even toss in some genuine diamonds that I just got direct from my Nigerian connection too. Awesome deal. Really.

Edited by billcoe

Good ol' FW. Nothing but typical assumptions and misguided insults against "the youth", piled on top of common FOX news rhetoric and a clear lack of reality.

Maybe if people realized that "doing what they can" is a lot better than doing nothing. Of course, with FW's take, doing anything without pushing it to the extreme means you are a hypocrite.

You should always realize, fW, that electricity consumption can't be weighed directly against fossil fuel impact. The % of power in Seattle, for example, is going to be generated by a good deal more renewables than, say, LA. Your arguements are always completely over simplified and do little more than illustrate a bitter streak and chip on your shoulder you have exhibited since I first visited this board.

Exactly WHAT did the world do to you to make you the bitter man you are?

It looks like the University of Colorado Boulder still has a deficient English department. I would hate to think of you entering the real world representing your school with the skills you demonstrate here. Yikes! Maybe a local community college has a 60-level course in which you can enroll?

When in doubt, look for grammatical errors and typos. Nothing wins the debate faster.

The funny thing is, FW bolded 'renewables'. Is it not a word? Maybe he needs to take some of his own advice.

Edited by NRS

...or calling someone bitter? In the past Josh has liked to flaunt his edu-credentials during these little discussions, so I've determined it appropriate to mention his somewhat glaring deficiencies therein. I'm sure he'll be happy you've come to his defense though. :rolleyes:

I don't know a lot of the 'history' of this board, I usually just come to find information and advice. That being said, 'renewables' is in fact a legitimate word and was used (as far as I can tell) correctly by Josh.

I will participate in your gas out.

I hope that filling up my car on the 28th will not defeat the purpose.

I can also have my tree sitting friends occupy a gas station and sling feces at the arborists hired by Shelvronbpexx76 to remove them.

It looks like the University of Colorado Boulder still has a deficient English department. I would hate to think of you entering the real world representing your school with the skills you demonstrate here. Yikes! Maybe a local community college has a 60-level course in which you can enroll?

The Guilded Age

Fairweather, you're a fucking moron.

The Guilded Age

Fairweather, you're a fucking moron.

as well as every fuck who voted this clown into a president's chair 4 years ago.