Tree Sitting

AlpineK

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motherfucker says he is on a starvation diet: only 1000 calories a day. He is just sitting there! There are people who live their entire lives on less than that and they are actually working and living their lives.

True. I guess the courts were working off of some minimum caloric intake guidelines they found.

As to the protest crew. They sure picked a funny way to protest. It's performance art live on the local TV station.

Those Hippies are so fucking stupid, they're the kind of people who love you if you agree with them, but call you a fascist and a Nazi if you have any sort of opinion that contradicts their "values", no matter how logical it is. "reason" isn't in their dictionaries, talk about a bad case of cognitive dissonance.

Those Hippies are so fucking stupid, they're the kind of people who love you if you agree with them, but call you a fascist and a Nazi if you have any sort of opinion that contradicts their "values", no matter how logical it is. "reason" isn't in their dictionaries, talk about a bad case of cognitive dissonance.

Yeah.

They're almost as bad as Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield/ .........

I live here and I was watching this event while waiting for my car to be serviced. I only regret not taking a camera.

After living in this area for almost a decade, I can tell you that there are a core group of people that organize and do this stuff all the time. I used to live with an organizer (for social issues, not for trees so he is cool), so I know how these "protest actions" work. I've joined my share of protest against the war, but not for trees.

Most of the time it's a party: smoking weed, flirting and hooking up in the hippie gene pool is what normally happens.

When the cops arrive, the hippies act like soccer players faking a broken femur at the slightest touch by a cop to move aside or move on. I have even been to seminars on how to act with the cops and they definitely want you to act like they are killing you.

It's really quite entertaining overall to go to these things.

For the most part these are middle class white kids with nothing better to do than save trees, turtles, the planet, add your own cause here. They generally don't give a rats ass about people that are not like them. They just appear to be "progressive".

One more thing....these hippie types generally do smell unclean. I don't mean just at these actions but all the time. So "dirty hippie" is not just an insult.

Wow, Clavote. I'm sure you are right about most of this or all of it, but missing is a little perspective me thinks. Young people might actually smoke weed and socialize while they are protesting? Certainly not unique to "hippies." Self centered and self righteous? Not very special either. Unclean? This probably is more on the mark as a byproduct of some hippy ideals but when flung about as an insult it IS just an insult - used to dismiss or disgrace the accused.

I agree that there are more important things to protest over than a grove of oak trees and youthful idealism may be misguided or self important. I realize, too, that Berkeley is known for some pretty stupid stuff in the name of political correctness. But I don't see any big harm in this and the disdain that you express would be better reserved for those blind sheep who see the powers to be screwing us every day and selling our future to the Chinese without saying anything about it because they are too busy worrying about their stock portfolio or whether there is a new scratch on their beamer.

We need MORE people who care about trees or turtles or war. I think our nation would be better off if it were not just "dirty hippies" who were willing to take to the streets, and if more would take to the airwaves or organize for the ballot box... or actually get involved at ANY level in our national political narrative.

i dont understand why the university is providing them with food. Some idiot sits in a tree on my property and I have to feed him? :confused:

I believe that the real battle between the folks who wanted to save the forest and the other side who wanted to build an athletic center was going on in court. I don't know any details, but there is a difference between your property and a place like an open campus. On your property all somebody has to do is stand on your property and you can get them for trespass. I don't know law, but I imagine in a public space as long as you aren't hurting anybody or trashing anything then you can stage a protest. At least for a while till the man eventually comes down on you.

The tree protesters were just a side show to the event. The courts told the university they had to let the protesters get some food, so they compromised and sent them some generic energy bars every day. It makes the whole thing even funnier seeing the rope system the protesters rigged to get, "healthy," food.

I think in one of the first videos they interview some bystander who says something like, "the trees are nice and have some history but the university has the right to build a structure. They need to debate the issue and then have an outside observer pick which side has the best argument." That was a sensible view, but sensible is boring.

The one protester did figure out some excellent tree climbing tactics. A weighted ball attached to a fishing line is a good way to set a high line. Normally if you do stuff like that a sling shot is helpful.

Yeah.

They're almost as bad as Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield/ .........

...Or most Liberals I know.

... I don't see any big harm in this and the disdain that you express would be better reserved for those blind sheep who see the powers to be screwing us every day and selling our future to the Chinese without saying anything about it because they are too busy worrying about their stock portfolio or whether there is a new scratch on their beamer.

waxing prophetic?

... I don't see any big harm in this and the disdain that you express would be better reserved for those blind sheep who see the powers to be screwing us every day and selling our future to the Chinese without saying anything about it because they are too busy worrying about their stock portfolio or whether there is a new scratch on their beamer.

waxing prophetic?

Ha ha. You got me there Dechristo. Perhaps that was a Freudian slip reflecting a substantial cynicism on my part. I'd still like to see broader participation in our democracy and I think we'd benefit if more people actually paid attention to politics, though.

You seem to have time to discuss things here on cc.com. Think how much better this world would be if you'd go out and tree sit some time. You cold bring your deer rifle and a flask and make a point about how "the man" can't tell a "real man" how to hunt.

I'm amazed (not really) that I'm not hearing more about "respect for people taking principled stands for a cause they believe in". I suppose that kind of talk is strictly reserved for racists and soldiers.

Oh I agree they were making a stand for a belief. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think that's a big part of why they didn't get forcibly ejected until other folks discussed the issue.

That being said it still is a funny protest. Also it was a lot less destructive than the WTO protest here in Seattle.

I'm amazed (not really) that I'm not hearing more about "respect for people taking principled stands for a cause they believe in". I suppose that kind of talk is strictly reserved for racists and soldiers.

You have a lot more credence when your spokesperson ins't high when they give an interview on national TV.