Chimney Rock Conditions?

Ghoulwe

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove through there a couple of weeks ago and the area looked generally snow free.

Powderhound, I'm guessing you're referring to Chimney Rock, WA. Come to Chimney Rock, ID (what the OP is referring to), and bring your skis.

Ghoulwe and Tim, I just got word that a friend last weekend drove up the Hunt Creek-Horton Ridge Road east from Priest Lake, and was able to drive to about a mile from the old lookout. He spent the day skiing the slopes of Roothann. I hope to be doing the same tomorrow, Saturday, before the forecasted T-storms move in.

I would expect Chimney Rock climbers this year will be approaching on snow through July, if not into August.

Thanks Steve. Lloyd just threw a trip at me for heading up to the Lions Head - guess we'll get a better idea tomorrow how much snow there is. We'll keep an ear open for those approaching storms..assuming we can even get to the TH. After watching him and Maryanne get denied Chimney Rock a few years ago, I suspect Lloyd will be nervous to hear about the forecast :) We passed them on our descent and warned em about the black clouds on the east side. Between the bursts of lighning and the thunder, we could heard them bailing from as far away as the Roothaan col.

Myself and two others were up there yesterday (Friday) and the road is open to within a mile of the trailhead on Horton Ridge. There is a log blocking the road at that point so if you have a chainsaw bring it along to help clear the road. There are patches of snow still across the road but it should be drivable to the trailhead once the tree is removed.

Still a lot of snow up there, it's a snow slog from the trailhead all the way to Chimney. Climbing was great yesterday up there!

Both my potential partners bailed with the weather as it was this early a.m., and I hiked Rocks of Sharon instead. Not sure if the boss has me working through next weekend or not, but I hope to get up to Chimney-Roothann to ski in the next couple weeks while the snow is good.

Chad, thanks for the heads-up on the log and the need for a saw. From the notes in the log, did you get the first ascent this season?

Tim, snowmobilers were playing two weeks ago under the north face of Lion's Head, and the report I got from them is that they thought the area would be holding snow until well into the summer. Lion's Head is notoriously wet, including the classic 6-pitch Kittel-Pierce route, and some years never dries up. With all our snow I'm wondering if it'll dry up this year.

Chimney Rock--sticking up on the Selkirk Crest of north Idaho--is definitely a lightning rod and a place I've bailed from at least a couple times as storms were moving in.

Steve, the summit register is just about used up, time to get a new one up there. I plan on getting up there a few times this summer between EPIC staff and PLSAR so let me know if I can be of service..... downed tree is within 200ft of last switchback on road before it gets rough, very doable day trip even if it isn't removed.

SOBO, its good to be out gettin some...first time out as papa, great partners. Nice work being Danes hero (and mine)!!

Selkirks Rule!!!!

Here are a couple of pics showing the bowl and ridge for those interested in heading up to ski, climb, etc.

Chimney as seen from the Roothan Saddle

Looking back towards the saddle from near the base of Chimney

Looking back down Horton Ridge towards the lake and trail head

Good so see you up there on Saturday, Chad.

Amazing how quickly even consolidated snow melts out in hot weather. At least we could get some great turns in on the north side of Roothann.

For general info, the road is open (snow-free) to the Horton Ridge TH and location of the old lookout. Thanks to whoever winched or pulled aside the big log. If you go up during the week, there is logging so it would be cheap insurance to have and use a CB radio.

A group of 4 local HS kids from Sandpoint camped at the TH at least on Friday night. Brings to mind there are no facilities up there and folks should know to practice good camping skills. Bears, both Black and Griz, requires storing coolers in vehicles. Bury your shit. Don't piss all over where others park and pitch tents. Know that since the demo of the old lookout there are a bunch of old 16-penny and larger nails above and just under the surface of the soil, just waiting to puncture your tires if you park near where the old lookout stood.

The USFS has long neglected this very popular area. About time some action is taken to improve existing conditions.

Know that since the demo of the old lookout there are a bunch of old 16-penny and larger nails above and just under the surface of the soil, just waiting to puncture your tires if you park near where the old lookout stood.

FYI: Seems like many more nails on the right side (TH side) than on the left.