Mt Adams road conditions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just over 3 miles of road (easy). You have to drive around cause the wa access is blocked. I went down to Hood River and then back up to the s route and area.

The mountain is in good shape. BTW kaskadskyjkozak, the north side looked good, but it is a ways in there. I have some pics of the routes if you want, let me know...

esugi, here's the best I can do:

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/adams/adamsroutes/routes.htm

My lens fogged up inside the camera (damn) when I was going by stormy, but I can tell you both are looking very good. Lava wasn't crapping yet and stormy was filled in nicely. I wish I had more time there to ski them again, but it will have to wait until later.

Not a great pic, but here's the lava hw...

DSC_6589.jpg

Edited by AllYouCanEat

I heard snowshoeing or skinning are recommended if heading up the southside from the road closure through Cold springs CG and on up.

Is the post-holeing that bad ? Are we talking thigh / waist deep sugar snow plunges ?

I'd probably get to the closure and car camp night 1, hike up the next morning as high as possible, Summit the next morning and collect the high camp on the way down and would ideally like to get back to the car that afternoon.

I'd imagine the way up would be OK without shoes as I can leave the closure camp early and get up high before things soften up, but coming back down after summiting has me a little worried ...

Was up this weekend and carried the snowshoes but didn’t use them. The road was blocked at about 3 ¼ miles but melting out fast. Maybe 50/50 coverage? It got soft but only occasional break though otherwise no post holing. Your mileage may very. It was windy as hell on the summit Saturday.

Thanks. I'll be sure and bring my balaclava.

I'm driving out from Colorado and am not so familiar with the area or the particularities of the terrain / snowpack.

Is it reasonable to expect to set a high camp somewhere around 8K ?

Any chance of finding any running water around that part of the mountain or is it all diving below deep snow ?

• 2 weeks later...

New update by the Forest Service is confusing - says there is 2 feet of snow at South Climb trailhead - then says road is open

Update for July 4, 2008

CLIMBING ROUTE INFORMATION

This winter's snowpack is 150% to 200% of normal depending on elevation. Currently there is 2 feet of snow at the South Climb Trailhead. Please prepare for winter-like conditions at high elevation. Currently we are recommending the Suksdorf Ridge route for your climb due to cornices on the east side of the Crescent Ridge. Do not climb in hazardous weather. Help is a very long time coming and cannot get to you in poor weather.

Review forecasts by the National Weather Service and any special postings by the NW Weather and Avalanche Center prior to any mountaineering.

ROAD CONDITIONS

The road to Cold Springs, the South Climb Trailhead, is open to the parking lot. The lower part of the parking lot can be used at this time.

My brother and I climbed Adams from the Cold Springs/South Climb Trailhead route on 6/27-28. We had to park three miles down the road from Cold Springs Campground, and perhaps this is what the Forest Service report is refering to as "the lower part of the parking lot"?? Although the snow on the road was sparse for the three mile hike over it, it was pretty deep when it was present and may not have melted enough within the past week to allow cars to drive through. I'd say be prepared for a three mile road-trek to Cold Springs Campground.

There were plenty of sites at lunch counter melted out for setting up tents in, including plenty of options before lunch counter. There were also several streams flowing at lunch counter. My brother and I opted to melt snow with a stove, just to be safe.

We started at 5:45 pm on Friday night, hiked the 3 miles in on the road and climbed for about 2 1/2 hours till we reached 7200 ft and made camp. We got up at 6am, just took food, water, and a stove to melt snow with and made the summit around 11:45am (we bore east and stayed mostly on the Suksdorf Ridge route). Snow conditions were perfect for glissading when we came back down around 12:30.

Bring sunscreen!!

New update by the Forest Service is confusing - says there is 2 feet of snow at South Climb trailhead - then says road is open

Update for July 4, 2008

CLIMBING ROUTE INFORMATION

This winter's snowpack is 150% to 200% of normal depending on elevation. Currently there is 2 feet of snow at the South Climb Trailhead. Please prepare for winter-like conditions at high elevation. Currently we are recommending the Suksdorf Ridge route for your climb due to cornices on the east side of the Crescent Ridge. Do not climb in hazardous weather. Help is a very long time coming and cannot get to you in poor weather.

Review forecasts by the National Weather Service and any special postings by the NW Weather and Avalanche Center prior to any mountaineering.

ROAD CONDITIONS

The road to Cold Springs, the South Climb Trailhead, is open to the parking lot. The lower part of the parking lot can be used at this time.

...and Bingo was his name!

Got back last night. There is no 3 extra mile walk and cold springs is almost completely melted out. Plenty of campsites. Get to the summit before 11:00 to avoid light to moderate postholing for the last few hundred yards. I dont have skis yet but if I did now would seem like a damn good time to use them.

Just a note that will probably only apply for the next week or so until the snow melts a little more. For us, the main trail of footprints in the snow on the way down lead too far to the east of the actual trail. Us and another two groups overshot the trail by a few hundred yards and accidentally crossed the creek bed (which as far as we could tell wasnt much of a creek bed) that leads to the campground. Bushwacking in a southwesterly direction got us back to the trail.

From the forest service web site it looks like road approach to the Killian Creek trailhead is melted out if you are coming from the east. This approach usually melts out much quicker that the approach from the west. Here are directions to approach from the east -

Directions -

Leave Randle south on Forest Service Road 23.

After a long stretch there will be a Y intersection with FS 21 going left and road FS 23 going right. Take FS 21.

You will stay on FS 21 for a little over 4 ½ miles, and then you will reach another Y intersection, Here FS 21 goes left and FS 56 goes right. A problem is that I couldn’t see any marker for FS 56. However at the Y there is a sign pointing to the right that says “Cody Horse Camp 5 Mi”

Take FS 56.

Another check is shortly after you get on FS 56 you will pass the Adams Fork Campground.

Shortly after that there is another Y with FS 56 going left and FS 5601 going right. Stay left on FS 56.

In 4 ½ miles at a 90 degree angle to the right is FS 5603. It is marked on a small sign halfway in the bushes on the right of the road. Take FS 5603.

In about 5 miles you will reach a four way intersection. FS 5603 continues on and the cross road is FS 2329. FS 2329 is a rough dirt road. Turn right on FS 2329.

You will then drive on this road until you either are stopped by snow or reach the trailhead.

• 1 month later...