St Helens Road now open to Marble Mtn

cluck

W00t!!!

----------------

Forest Road 83 to Marble Mountain Snopark and Forest Road 8303 to Ape Cave Reopen Today

AMBOY, WA – On Tuesday, June 10th, forest officials announced reopening of Forest Road 83 to Marble Mountain Sno-Park and Road 8303 to Ape Cave. “The combination of warming temperatures that melted our record snow pack and the continuing efforts of our dedicated staff and volunteers have enabled us to reopen these important facilities,” said Tom Mulder, Monument Manager. “Improved access to the climbing route and Ape Cave is important both to our visitors and our local communities,” Mulder added.

Forest Road 83 is currently open to two lane traffic to within ½ mile of Marble Mountain Snopark where the road narrows to one lane with turnouts. Repair of winter road damage on Road 83 has not been completed. Visitors are urged to drive slowly, watch for slumps and slide debris and to use extra caution. As of Tuesday morning, there was 3 inches of new wet snow at the snowpark.

The reopening of Marble Mountain Sno-Park will restore access to the popular south side climbing route and should allow most climbers to complete their climb in one day. Marble Mountain Sno-Park is the normal access point used by climbers during the winter season. Marble Mtn Sno-Park is located one mile farther and 1000 feet elevation lower than Climber’s Bivouac, the normal summer trailhead for the climbing route. Forest officials indicate that there are still many feet of snow on the road to Climber’s Bivouac and, if cool cloudy weather continues, it could be July before enough snow melts for the road to Climber’s Bivouac to be reopened.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/news/2008/20080610a-msh-access.shtml

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worm Flows/Swift Creek route is in fine shape right now with snowpack more reminiscent of January than June. Lots of activity yesterday with climbers, skiers, and snowmobiles on the summit and helicopters and airplanes buzzing around all day.

THere were 2 avalanches very near the climbers route yesterday. Both triggered naturally around 2:30 PM and involved the ~1 foot slab of snow that accumulated on the SE side of Monitor ridge earlier in the week. A small slide actually crossed part of the climbing route (some folks were splitting off to the right and heading to a low spot on the crater rim rather than gaining Monitor ridge and following that up). A large slide came down just to climbers left of the route on a face that was skied about an hour earlier:

Avi_-_6-13-08_sm.jpg

Fortunately, no one was caught in either slide but still a sobering reminder that Mount Saint Helens is not immune to avalanches - even in June!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if there were any more updates on current road/mountain conditions? I have a permit to climb this one on July 4th, do you guys think I should use the Worm Flows route?

I am from the east coast so this would actually be my first real snow climb so any pointers you guys have would be great. I have an ice axe and crampons, but should I rent some snowshoes? I also have some non-hiker, but athletic friends that got permits as well (back when we thought it would be a normal summer climb). Should they sit it out?

Sorry for all the questions just want to learn as much as I can before I go for the summit. Thanks!

-PHIXIT

did this early monday. i would go late/early to get on firm snow. when we were coming down about 10 am it was getting soft, by the time we were in the trees it was a slush fest. great conditions, and a great place to be.

we wore our crampons, and had ice axes out for most of the accent, but it was dark, and icy going up. when we were coming down, most people were going up without crampons, but still had axes out. dont think crampons would do any good in the slush, and you could arrest without an axe. just depends on what time you go up.

dont think snow shoes would help, but skis would be great!.