Rope Washing

WageSlave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not yet been assimilated into the hive but my method is to take it to the laundry and use a commercial front-loader with a SMALL amount of Woolite. I may be overly protective but I also run the washer without anything in it first, just to be sure there's no unwanted chemicals from the previous load. Costs more but gives me peace-of-mind. I've daisy chained it a few times but still wind up with tangles. I've heard some people place theirs into a pillow case but seems that would prevent a thorough wash and rinse to me...haven't tried that though.

You can use a mesh laundry bag to avoid your heartburn with the pillowcase fabric obstructing the flow of scrubby goodness particles. Fred Meyer has them but maybe not large enough for a rope. The military washes its skivvies in mesh bags that are pretty large. Maybe an Army-Navy store (check online) will have them.

• 7 months later...

I had a guy show me a trick - he mountaineer-coiled half the rope length or so, then daisy chained the rest around the coils, holding them all together. This way the coils can be draped around the upright thingy in your washer without (too much) fear of getting the roap caught.

Personally I do it in the tub. Good shoulder/tricep work out!

Remember not to leave your rope out drying in the direct sun for 12 hours in July!

I wash mine in the tub or a Rubbermaid bin with a rope brush and just water. Occasionally i add a few drops of dish soap.

I take my super muddy caving ropes to the laundromat and wash in a mesh bag. Gets them super clean. I feel better about this as I don't lead on them...just jumaring/rappeling

MRA team I was on use to doughnut the ropes with daisy chain loops and throw in the wash with a dose of powdered Ivory Snow (recommended), then run it on gentle, pull out the chains and hang dry in the gear room. I’ve been doing it that way with my ropes for years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For front loaders, do most people worry about chemicals from the previous cycles? I've got one that's filthy with aluminum dust, but am a little sketched about throwing into a washer with out knowing what's gone through it previously.

TIA

:wave:

Anyone remember the old SMC rope washer? Not as harsh on your rope as a washer + detergent, and good for getting dirt out. I don't know if SMC makes it any more, as I don't see it on their website, but I can find it at various retailers like Mountain Tools .

smc_ropewash.jpg

Also found on the cragx site:

If buying a chalk bag is a little bit too ritzy for you then heres an Idea... get your hands on your mums old oven mit, whack beaner through the little loop, hook it onto your harness...

Their rope washer looks pretty simpleand effective.