Dynafit binding release

RJRiha

My experience is that a Dynafit toe will release when the ski is on a hard surface, my boot in the binding, front lever in the touring position,and then I push down with my toes and ball of my foot. I have demonstrated this on various of my Dynafit bindings.

Just by weighting it you can make it release?!!

Yes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your heel is secured at the time then something is with your boot.

Nope. New stuff. Demonstrated in the shop in front of the tech person. There is a limit of power/ force that can be applied. I see it all of the time before locking the toe. I have 3 Dynafit setups that I am on 100 days this season. Two pair new boots this season.

New boots doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with them - either the inserts, insert positioning or rubber on the sole.

I weigh 15lbs less than you, have haunches not legs, and have skiied Dynafit TLTs on a quiver of 70mm, 85mm, 99mm and 109mm skis up to 193cm and call shenanigans on this being normal.

My experience is that a Dynafit toe will release when the ski is on a hard surface, my boot in the binding, front lever in the touring position,and then I push down with my toes and ball of my foot. I have demonstrated this on various of my Dynafit bindings.

Just by weighting it you can make it release?!!

Yes.

On how many setups (i.e., # of boots? # of skis/bindings?) have you demonstrated this? (My household has five pairs of Dyna-compatible boots and beats me how many skis/bindings -- impossible to do this with any of them.)

And can you post a video of this?

Some other points:

-- On the positive side, glad to hear that the OP is ok despite such a sketchy incident.

-- I'll add my vote that this is not normal for a Dynafit setup.

-- Although packed-in snow/ice can explain such an incident, doesn't seem to be the case with the OP.

-- I used to pack my toe sockets with white bike grease, but haven't been bothering much lately (since I never had any problems when I didn't do this).

-- Brakes always worked fine for me, albeit with second return spring removed. (But oh those extra ounces of brakes as opposed to leashes!)

-- I don't think TGR has a consensus that skiing with the toe lever in tour mode increases the effective lateral release setting by only two numbers. It also depends on exactly which "click" the toe lever is in. Based on test-twisting out of the toe lever at #3 -- with the heel also in tour mode -- I suspect it's much more than 2.

-- Note that my leash pic referenced at the beginning of this thread is girth hitched incorrectly: should be over the top of the toe, not to the side (where it can jam).

-- I've also been experimenting with using a strong cable tie, since I think that skinny one in the pic is just way too wussy.

(I need to make lots of other mods to that website over this summer...)

-- I don't think TGR has a consensus that skiing with the toe lever in tour mode increases the effective lateral release setting by only two numbers. It also depends on exactly which "click" the toe lever is in. Based on test-twisting out of the toe lever at #3 -- with the heel also in tour mode -- I suspect it's much more than 2.

Yeah, I thinnk I might have flubbed it on that one. I was going to go and look for something to back it up, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I think, in retrospect, that your statement is closer to the truth.