Brohm Ridge Approach

Question regarding the Brohm Ridge approach. In Alpine Select it recommends turning left at the first fork of the Cheekeye Forestry Road, which is how I got up to the ridge today. The map shows that the road past Cat Lake goes all the way to the midpoint of the ridge. Is this the case? I was talking to some gentlemen that were parked on the Cat Lake road (shotgun target practice from the tailgate) who said that it goes all the way up. Drove it for several kms and, while rough, it went, but I got bored and could see from the other road that it is snowed in currently anyway. Passable when dry?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up there this Sat (Jun 7th), and took the Brohm River to Brohm Crossover FSR (turn left after 1.5km on Cheekye FSR). Got stopped by snow at 7.4km (1000m el.). 4wd(hc) to there. We walked and skied from there.

Saw some tire tracks from people that had driven up the Cheekye FSR to as far as the upper junction with the Brohm Crossover FSR, so presumably this branch goes as well.

There are two branches after the 1.5 turn off that I got to. The first was clearly not the 8 km mentioned and branches to the left, I ignored it. The second was also not quite the 8km, and the branch to the right proceeded more directly up the valley while the left climbed higher. I didn't explore this right hand fork as it was snowed in anyway. From its trajectory I suppose that it could have connected to the Cat lake road as mentioned, and the left hand fork that I took was a dead end in a relatively recent cut. I think that this might have been the "wrong" left according to A.S. as there was no gate and the branch was not at 8km, but it works (I met up with your tracks). Some visibility would have helped, but as it was I got snowed on for much of the day.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we drove up to what we thought (think?) was the high point on the ridge where the ski area used to be. There was really bad weather - thick fog and rain - so it was hard to see exactly where we were. Alls I know is that the road ended at a major alpine rockslide and that there was a little cairn on a rock where we parked. We turned off the highway then turned left at the Brohm Ridge sign. Then we followed our nose upwards. The only real landmark (that we could see in the fog)