questions

Nomad75

Hello all,

I appreciate the forum and am a member of a few others in Colorado. I am arriving in late July to attempt the summit of Rainier via Muir/Ingraham glacier and have a few questions. What is the camping situation at Ingraham Flats? I know I need a permit, are "reservations" needed for the permit? Would snowshoes be needed up to Muir? and lastly if I was to base out of Ingraham Flats, would a small summit pack suffice for the attempt in late July? I would plan on leaving the big pack and go light the last bit. I hope these are not foolish questions, I am aware the Rainier is not the typical Colorado 14er I am familiar with.

Thanks,

Rob

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

Make a reservation - you are traveling on a busy route at a busy time. Google the Rainier climbing page and follow the instructions.You should not need snow shoes. Wait for good weather and travel light to the summit. Divide up the emergency gear (bag stove etc.) and you will still have a light pack.

Good luck,

Jack

Last time I was on the south I took a friend up via the DC. We spent a night at Muir then walked to the Flats the next day and spent the night. Really helped him with acclimating and made for a "shorter" summit day. The nice part about doing the flats is that the activity level is not quite as much as with starting from Muir. So you can get up at 3am and still beat the guides. Of course you have to schlep your stuff up and back.

Check Mike Gauthier's blog if you haven't found it already: http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

It often has info or links to recent conditions.. I thought I read in there that Ingraham direct was opening up not looking too good a few weeks ago. I've only been up there once, but for what it's worth, guided parties left Muir around midnight when I was there a bit later in the season, I would imagine they may vary it depending on temp's, rockfall & avie hazard.