Beach Bonfire Ban

Dechristo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repost, maybe, but Puget didn't offer a clue as to what he was posting about. Unless you clicked his link, that is.

I agree with Puget, though: there are more important things to worry about at parks.

I also think that the global warming argument is pure BS. Parks has been wanting to get rid of the bonfires for years. If they were worried about carbon, they wouldn't be cutting down trees at parks all over town, creating parks like Ballard's concrete commons, and building an artificial turfed tournament sportsfield complex with sportsfield lighting in Magnuson Park.

Seattle parks is not at all about green. Well not green as in environmentally green.

Bonfires at Golden Gardens are fun!

Matt - I only point out that my posts are modernist in nature. Per Wikipedia here are the characteristics of the modernist post:

Formal characteristics

Open Form

Free verse

Discontinuous narrative

Juxtaposition

Intertextuality

Classical allusions

Borrowings from other cultures and languages

Unconventional use of metaphor

Metanarrative

Fragmentation

Multiple narrative points of view

While reading them remember work may be hard but the rewards are many!

Not sure but I thought I jus heard on the "news" that that mayor no-fun may be backing off a bit on this one. Maybe he got flooded with with emails or something - hope it continues.

First the dumb fuck went after the strip clubs, red light runners, and now this (tongue a bit in cheek)

I could see limiting the days to say one or two days a weekend between certain hours and so on (7pm-2am for example).. But a total ban is fuckin stupid. Just to appease the newb yuppie condo owners.

Why dont they fucking clean up the Lafarge cement plants genuinely carcinogenic emissions that paint the entire sky yellow on many summer days? Maybe because it only really impacts the lower economic areas of south and southwest seattle.

Why dont they fucking clean up the Lafarge cement plants genuinely carcinogenic emissions that paint the entire sky yellow on many summer days? Maybe because it only really impacts the lower economic areas of south and southwest seattle.

Or, maybe because the LaFarge cement plant creates jobs and because this city needs concrete, which requires cement.

Edited by canyondweller

Let's assume that firewood burned has 0 moisture content and is 100% cellulose. (C_6 H_10 O_5)

that would mean it's carbon content is about 44% of its weight

(and we'll incorrectly assume 100% combustion).

Gasoline seems to consist of hydrocarbons somewhere between C_nH_n and C_nH_2n, so somewhere between 86% and 92% carbon.

A gallon of gas is about 3.8 L, and each L of gas has weighs about .74 kilos, so a gallon of gas weighs 2.8 kilos, of which about 2.6 kilos are carbon.

2.6 kilos of carbon works out to be about 5.8 kilos of wood.

So yeah, the bonfires really are insignificant to driving.

Particulates are a different matter...

Or, maybe because the LaFarge cement plant creates jobs and because this city needs concrete, which requires cement.

Gee, concrete requires cement? Who woulda thought..

I call BS in your general direction..

You think maybe there have been some advances in production methods and stack emissions reducing technology in the years since the Lafarge plant began spewing out dioxin all over the Duwamish valley populations?

Its not a question of "jobs vs clean air", it's a question of usually lazy, short sighted, greedy people in positions of power (whether private or public) actually caring (or not?) enough to do something helpful for people who -for mostly economic reasons- are too easily brushed aside.

In other words, do they want to bother, do they want to spend a little to benefit some folks who they could really just ignore? No one says you have to have jobs at the expense of our health anymore -unless youre still stuck in the 1930's- you can have both. But whats a few hundred cancer deaths per year as long as we can fool ourselves with the thought that we're keeping the trains running on time or some other out dated slogan..

We built this city on rock and roll.

Really dirty manufacturing plants create even more jobs, particularly in the white collar category, when they become Superfund sites.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

You think maybe there have been some advances in production methods and stack emissions reducing technology in the years since the Lafarge plant began spewing out dioxin all over the Duwamish valley populations?

Its not a question of "jobs vs clean air", it's a question of usually lazy, short sighted, greedy people in positions of power (whether private or public) actually caring (or not?) enough to do something helpful for people who -for mostly economic reasons- are too easily brushed aside.

In other words, do they want to bother, do they want to spend a little to benefit some folks who they could really just ignore? No one says you have to have jobs at the expense of our health anymore -unless youre still stuck in the 1930's- you can have both. But whats a few hundred cancer deaths per year as long as we can fool ourselves with the thought that we're keeping the trains running on time or some other out dated slogan..

So, you are weaving some emotionally-charged hatred for LaFarge, without even the slightest bit of evidence that their operation violates mandated industrial emissions requirements? That's bright.

If any of you treehuggers really cared about this "carbon footprint" crap, you wouldn't be singing the praises of the Toyota Prius (and it's ilk). The "carbon footprint" on those cars are worse than most.

So you get a hard on when you use the term

treehuggers

Let me assure you that love or hate trees if you're working with them you will need to hug them. I've hugged plenty of trees that I proceed to kill.

I'd advise picking a new term to denigrate your internet rivals.

If any of you treehuggers really cared about this "carbon footprint" crap, you wouldn't be singing the praises of the Toyota Prius (and it's ilk). The "carbon footprint" on those cars are worse than most.

Which can be abbreviated to the Texan Rebuttal:

"Wah, yer jist abuncha faggits!"

So, you are weaving some emotionally-charged hatred for LaFarge, without even the slightest bit of evidence that their operation violates mandated industrial emissions requirements? That's bright.

Lafarge, poor little 1.2 billion dollar company.. Mandated emissions standards? You tell me what the product of burning tires is? Want your kids breathing it? On certain days, I look up when the wind is right and see a yellow cone of toxic haze coming off the Lafarge stack. To the south, down wind, the yellow haze eventually covers the sky and goes from horizon to horizon. To the north, up wind, the sky is bright and clear. Im not the only one to observe this as there is some history behind the issue with the residents of southwest seattle. Also, no one claims that Lafarge is the only source of toxic air in the Duamish basin, just that they are one of the more obvious.

So what do you do when you're not trying to run tree huggin Prius owners off West Marginal with your cement truck? hard to tell from the pic..CopyofRedNeck.jpg