Amer Alpine Club Harms Climbers

johndavidjr

I think that your picture of the former Campground Wall free camping is selective and possibly exaggerated. However, the late 80s is the one block of time I can't personally account for.

You're probably right about the selective bit, I'm specifically remembering the week long honeymoon in 1988, and I do recall that it was far ickier than prior visits.

I haven't been to Squish much in the last decade. I've only stayed in the official climbers camp once, and that was in a van. It seemed nice to walk through, but the total ban on fires would prevent it from ever being a world class climbers camp. What are folks opinions of the camp?

I'm a big fan of dirtbag camping myself, it's just that I'm perpetually amazed by how some folks can trash a place up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Sherwood Forest in about the same time period, Off, and my selective memory is similar to yours.

Back when the Clear Creek Campground just outside Darrington used to be free, it was similar. In my selective memory Led Zeppelin played on perpetual rewind, there were piles of empty beer cans and dirty baby diapers strewn about.

I went to the Sherwood Forest in about the same time period, Off, and my selective memory is similar to yours.

Back when the Clear Creek Campground just outside Darrington used to be free, it was similar. In my selective memory Led Zeppelin played on perpetual rewind, there were piles of empty beer cans and dirty baby diapers strewn about.

I suppose I should declare myself strongly against garbage.

And loud music, and snoring.

But I can live with them if the price is cheap.

In related news, why is Johndavidjr STILL dredging up Appies versus Vulgarians? That was over even back in my Gunks era of 1968-1973. Obviously the legends persist but PLEASE forgive and forget the long long long ago idea of the AMC to certify climbers.

Very soon after the AAC opened its cabin in the Tetons we drove in to meet up with a friend of mine staying there. We arrived late and slept beside the car on the road to the camp. We had been doing the same pretty much all over the country but should have thought twice about trying it in a National Park. The AAC digs were very nice, I think they even had showers, but the clientele and ambiance were notably different to the climbers at Jenny Lake campground.

I can understand the attraction of being able to make reservations, though, for people who work for a living.

Surely there is room for the AAC to operate a nice clean quiet lodging near the Gunks.

And garbage isn't all bad. You can only take so many pictures of flowers. The piles of rusty cans and broken glass I came across in corners of Utah looked pretty good, sort of like relics of an ancient lost civilization.