McCain speech

chesterboo

The big question is, what attribute is more valuable in a president....character, or charisma. My vote's for character.

how ironic, I remember hearing this argument before, like 8 years ago.

How is that ironic?

in terms of character seems to me it was a wash between Gore and Bush.

this time around I'm not sure it's anything other than a wash again.

the question is charisma versus experience, and that question was settled in favor of charisma in the D primaries.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long before one of the cc.com conservatives come on to defend their brave leader?

Everyone has an opinion, just as everyone has an butt hole. Some of us choose not to publicly display.

Clearly you are not one of them.

:lmao:

So you think a stirring account of how his cellmate was the most decorated veteran in history and McCain too was a pretty solid guy in captivity 35 years ago really has a lot to do with his "character" in a manner that is relevant to whether he'll make a good president now?

I'd look more at his performance in the Senate in recent years, myself. You could certainly make a good case that he has been an advocate for reform of campaign financing and that he has on some issues bucked his own party so that shows some measure of independece -- both good things in my view. (Though I think he has not shown that as president he will necessarily continue to demonstrate these traits.)

But to say we should elect him because he was a good soldier? I don't get it.

So you think a stirring account of how his cellmate was the most decorated veteran in history and McCain too was a pretty solid guy in captivity 35 years ago really has a lot to do with his "character" in a manner that is relevant to whether he'll make a good president now?

I'd look more at his performance in the Senate in recent years, myself. You could certainly make a good case that he has been an advocate for reform of campaign financing and that he has on some issues bucked his own party so that shows some measure of independece -- both good things in my view. (Though I think he has not shown that as president he will necessarily continue to demonstrate these traits.)

But to say we should elect him because he was a good soldier? I don't get it.

IMO, a persons true colors (depth of character, integrity, etc.) are revealed when the shit hits the fan. I think it would be foolish to elect someone solely on what he did 40 years ago. This account, simply adds dimension and perspective to a man that was huge amount of proven leadership experience. What will happen to Obama when the shit hits his presidential fan???? Who knows, and quite frankly the job's a little too important to risk it. He talks a great game (if you agree with his ideology), but has yet to demonstrate that he's anything more than a windbag of insprirational ideas.

Did you vote for Bush? He'd clearly demonstrated that he was a failure at pretty much everything he'd ever run and his military service record showed he avoided his responsibility there too.

I understand your concern about Obama, but I gotta say I'm equally concerned that McCain may not be up to the job.

well i remember having more respect for mccain than i do now. he seems to have pulled out all the stops in order to become president (maybe that is just what it takes). he seems to have gone from someone who wasn't afraid to take a stand on a particular issue, who wasn't afraid to differ from the crowd if he believed in it, who was even labeled a "maverick".

now he seems to have changed his stance on everything (latest is wiretapping) so as to conform to whatever his advisers tell him will help him get the most votes. regardless of his valor and integrity as a soldier, his actions and talk as of late indicate that he isn't really the maverick that people thought he was. i'm not sure what that says about his character, but it doesn't appear to be a good thing. people usually like consistency and not sudden shifts into the fold that he seems to be demonstrating as of late.

I think he is scared shitless. I thought that he was a bit of a pariah in the Republican party, being of the minority not involved in drug deals and toe tapping and other unseemly misdeeds. It seems that he was picked for point man because he is the last man standing. I liked him a few years ago when he was actually questioning the invasion etc. Maybe that is the real McCain and the one that is before you now is just another puppet of the money men.

I heard that his wife is stinking rich, perhaps she put him up to it, and all he wants is to go golfing and fuck about at home in his workshop. Who knows?

IMO, a persons true colors (depth of character, integrity, etc.) are revealed when the shit hits the fan. I think it would be foolish to elect someone solely on what he did 40 years ago. This account, simply adds dimension and perspective to a man that was huge amount of proven leadership experience. What will happen to Obama when the shit hits his presidential fan???? Who knows, and quite frankly the job's a little too important to risk it. He talks a great game (if you agree with his ideology), but has yet to demonstrate that he's anything more than a windbag of insprirational ideas.

John "Keating 5" McCain has integrity?

The investigation concluded that 3 of the "Keating 5" had "substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings"....John McCain was not one of them. Also, the special investigator at the time recommended that the Senate Ethics Committee not pursue charges against McCain because of "no evidence against him". Please note, not a lack of substantial evidence, but rather NO evidence.

Edited by ericb