Your First Alpine Ice Climb(s)

Braydon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mount Stanley, near Radium Hot Springs, BC., was my first alpine ice climb. It was in great condition, all good solid ice, and fantastic. I'd recommend looking in Canada for alpine ice, tough you might find a short pitch or two on the N. Ridge of Baker or an icy patch here or there elsewhere in the Cascades.

Thanks Matt. Living in Seattle and not being able to drive yet unfortunetly makes it tough for me to get my mom to drag me up there. Anything around the cascades for a good first one? The North Ridge of Baker seems a little beefy for a first ice climb. Is this right? What about the North Face of Shuksan?

N Ridge of Baker is probably about it. Perhaps NE Face of Redoubt. CW used to call NF Maude alpine ice but I think it gets just too melted out these days.

If you want August alpine ice, gotta go to the Rockies.

I'd recommend getting a wee bit of mellow (

Anyway, here are some routes that sometimes/usually have alpine ice in the Cascades:

NE face of The Tooth

NF Chair Peak

Stuart Glacier coulior

Ice Cliff Glacier

Dragontail - Triple Couliors

Mt. Adams - Adams Glacier

NF Maude

NF Shuksan

NR Baker

Southside Hood. Seriously! I actually placed two screws on it one time in very very late season.

Most of those if done early season will be snow climbs. Later season will be more ice. Late, late season could be melted out rock.

Don't bite off more than you can chew!

Thanks guys. We have basic glacier skills and swap leads on rock (well he's learing to lead in a course right now). Other than ice screws instead of chocks/cams are equalizing ice anchors the same? We have the the alpine ice section in Freedom 7 also. Should we give it a try?

I've climbed it in July and October. Both times we belayed 2 pitches; in July it was one 75' steepish but not vertical pitch followed by another of about equal length that was at most 45 degrees and in October we found an approach pitch that was full length and maybe 40 degrees and then a near vertical but short second pitch.

if driving for 4 hours is too much, then forget this. But if the driving is OK, then Mt Matier in BC is a sweet little 45 degree (3 pitch or so) ice face. It reminds me of a mini mt athabasca.

It is north of squamish by about an hour or so, so you could include a day in squish if you had a three day weekend. A fine ice and cragging weekend.

While NR baker is not too hard, it may be a bit too much for a "first alpine ice" climb. Mainly the long sections of steep snow cramponing. A fall from most anywhere would be catastrophic. If you were comfy with long sections of 30 degree neve flat footing technique, then you would be better off. Many of the cascade ice climbs are more steep snow cramponing ventures which will do you good for a future ascent of baker NR.

The coleman crevasses are a great place to practice skills. Wandering around the open crevasses (staying out of the insane icefall areas) is a great way to build all the different ice techniques.

I would vote for climbing on the Baker seracs. You can play around all you want, practice placing screws and making V-threads. Also, the ice is good, and If you want you can saddle up and take the sharp end of the rope. Its a good way to get a feel for what your in for.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one I just remembered that might fit the bill as a good first alpine ice climb: NF of Observation Rock on Mt. Rainier.

I havent' done it, but it sounds perfect. No crevasse issues, low commitment, within mom's taxi service range (hahaha).

Here is Dave's trip report:

ALPINEDAVE IS A GOD!

That sounds pretty fun for an early season ice climb.