Iraq

scott_harpell

I dunno, sounds to me like the man is willing to believe the dog and pony show represents everyday life. How many Saturday markets in Indiana have been bombed in the last few months?

Lets be honest. He is trying to make his point. Just as Nancy Pelosi was when she said that violence was up in Iraq in the lowest month since the invasion.

Lets put this into perspective. A frontrunner for the next Oval Office ticket is walking down the street in Iraq. These are the same streets that are described by opponents as "hopeless." Takes guts and faith in your soldiers to do something like that. He has the faith that we will protect him, we will get the job done and we will continue to do what is needed to be done to suceed.

Lets be honest:

Everytime SecNav came to visit the lab we spent the full week cleaning it - everything was spic and span. The next week things went back to shit because their wasn't money to clean it :wave:

cookie cutter epithets? :lmao:

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, sounds to me like the man is willing to believe the dog and pony show represents everyday life. How many Saturday markets in Indiana have been bombed in the last few months?

Lets be honest. He is trying to make his point. Just as Nancy Pelosi was when she said that violence was up in Iraq in the lowest month since the invasion.

Lets put this into perspective. A frontrunner for the next Oval Office ticket is walking down the street in Iraq. These are the same streets that are described by opponents as "hopeless." Takes guts and faith in your soldiers to do something like that. He has the faith that we will protect him, we will get the job done and we will continue to do what is needed to be done to suceed.

Lets be honest:

Everytime SecNav came to visit the lab we spent the full week cleaning it - everything was spic and span. The next week things went back to shit because their wasn't money to clean it :wave:

cookie cutter epithets? :lmao:

I see now Hugh. It seems like SpecNav angers you. Perhaps that is the reason that you are so hostile about this topic. Would you like to talk about it?

Good for Mr. McCain. I am sure glad that someone who will be commander of our military is willing to see, up close and personal, the type of environment his men will be fighting in.

:tup:

I think you missed the part about "more than 100 soldiers in armoured vehicles as attack helicopters circled overhead. Soldiers redirected traffic, restricted access to the Americans and sharpshooters were posted on the rooftops."

This is clearly not "the type of environment his men will be fighting in"

Edited by Hendershot

When you would rather go to Iran and chat it up with Adimenijihad than visit your troops? Yes.

If he is so clearly skeptical of everything that the Bush administration is telling him, wouldn't it be prudent to see it all for himself? Especially post-push?

I'm politically conservative and pretty skeptical by any standard...I'm here to tell you I think you've been sold a lemon friend.

I find it interesting that so many Bush Neo-Con still use this as an argument and that it gets entertained as anything but the innocent rantings of the historically ignorant. I find it even more surprising that this playground logic has so pervaded the political conversation in our country. Apparently, we are a nation of simpletons.

There is a real need for a nuanced and careful approach to world diplomacy. It has been so sorely lacking with this present administration. The present Administration has been astoundingly effective at convincing many, otherwise sane people, that somehow diplomacy and engagement equate to "weakness" or some such other drivel. I never once have had any notion that Obama was suggesting that he would turn over the keys to Iran or whoever...I will not vote for him for other reasons, but I welcome the elevated level of conversation that he and McCain bring (we'll see if this is just election year pandering). For the last eight years this conversation has basically been, "Nyah, Nyah, you can't tell me what to do!"

When I hear this version of the truth as regurgitated by so many media outlets then right out of the mouth of young people who they have placed the responsibility of operating machines of immense destructive power, I despair. Scott, as a citizen of this country, I will tell you that I expect that you will represent and comport yourself with all the dignity that is inherent to your position. There is much that hangs in the balance and hinges on your decisions. You are not only protecting your country, you are representing it. If the "push" has been successful, it is only because intelligent men and women in our military have finally wrested the controls from the president. Do you know why? Because as he sees it he's done, mission accomplished, a lame duck...he had his fun and he's off to count his money.

There once was a time when the Republican party was considered to be the standard bearer for international relations. Well, GWB and his cash-and-carry cronies have gutted the US Diplomatic corps underneath our noses and no one has made so much as a peep, while in the same breath swearing under oath that all "options" have been exhausted when they go to war. When Colin Powell objected they threw him out on his ear. Thanks for the service, General.

There are people who object to wars, not just because they were carried out under false pretenses, but because they represent the end-member of a brutish form of problem solving that ultimately costs much more than it redeems.

The real battle here is not between Democrats and Republicans.....it is between the willingly ignorant and the recklessly complacent. The rest of us are just tired of the BS.

Mose's has spoken.

Forgot to mention the tossing of General Shinseki to further bolster his case, but spoken well non-the-less. It was the ignoring of international agreements, opinions and law why I so objected to the invasion originally, when all my countrymen were rooting and hollering go go go! and 100% supportive at our immediate initial success. That didn't influence my thinking, although I admit to being very relieved not to see my countrymen slaughtered.

The real question is where to now? What is the best course of action from here. We got suckered punched and here we are NOW.

Bailing now is wrong. My opinion only.

BTW Ivan, my dad and my wifes dad were both heavy in Europe. You are wrong about them being so supportive of the war. Although my dad passed away when I was 18 months old, I read my fathers letters a few years back, they had already decimated the Luftwaffe and as they had followed the Wehrmacht up the Rhine. Hoping from base to base. When they were so close to Berlin the war was all but ended in Europe, he wrote that they were all so sick of it, and very fearful of being sent to Japan. They were ready to call truce had the politicians let them I suspect. He wrote this knowing that the censors would read it anyway, but apparently didn't give a shit. My grandfather, despite being in the Marines in WW1, said that many were opposed and hated the bastards responsible for sending them there. Nothing has changed.

Actually. Tell ya what Kenny. I have been pretty fucking fair about this whole shit.

I remember you meeting me in person and my memory can't recall you being this bold. Is it because I am thousands of miles away? Is it because I dared to infiltrate your Holy Liberal Shrine of self fellating diatribes?

I really lets some shit slide from some class-A assholes on this site. Want to call me a coward and that I stay on a FOB? Want to call a hero who saved his friends' lives an idiot? Only willing to give me a pat on the back if I joined before the war started?

I appreciate those that contributed thoughtfull contributions. Those that just want to berate anything other than what they sstand for (which is apparently self-indulgent nhilism with a smattering of a God complex thrown in here or there) are chickenshit.

You can only say these things within the confines of your own FOB. Hypocrites. You say you are informed and that you want to effect change in the World screaming Darfur! Darfur like a bunch of collegiant big tittied blonds fucking their political science professors.

What % of your paycheck do you send to Darfur. What percentage of your free time is dedicated to the cause? This is the real test of your convictions.

Many of you fellow posters have been very constructive; taught and learned. You, instead choose to say things in your FOB of shit that you never had the balls to say in person.

I remember meeting you before, and you seemed to be a pretty reasonable and likeable person. Reading through your posts, made me reassess what I originally thought of you. As for reasonable, I definitely don't think that now, it sounds you have your views and that's that. You definitely can seem to see a big picture and understand not everyone has the same beliefs you have. Definitely don't sound like a likeable person ranting raving about all kinds of craps, throwing fuel into the fire and jumping to conclusions. What is all this crap about Darfur, chickenshit name calling, God complex, damn dude you sound like a raving lunatic.

BTW-As far as being bold cause I am thousands of miles away, yes I am thousands of miles away, but not in the direction of the States. I happen to live in Rwanda where my days are spent working with people, trying to build infrastructure in health service provided. Yeah my paycheck doesn't go to Darfur, but it is smaller than it was in the states. As far my percentage my time spent on a cause it has been almost every freaking day for the last 3 and a half years.

If the "push" has been successful, it is only because intelligent men and women in our military have finally wrested the controls from the president.

This is ludicrous. No soldier would ever do this or accept this mentality. This is not a question of whether the war was justified or whether or not Bush is a poor president. This is about the fact that quitting now would be ludicrous. Is there any doubt in your minds that we will ahve to g back to Iraq if we left today?

It seems that this generation would rather clear its conscience and pass the problems on to the next generation than deal with this issue right here and now.

We are at war. Pondering whether it was justified will not solve any problems. The only thing that will solve these problems is mission completion.

Well, you not only seem pretty psyched to be there but you're pretty fired up to convince the voters on this board to keep you there. Good luck with that seeing as how this seems to be how you're spending your (ample) down time.

Hey I just turned the corner into my 6th straight year in this 'unjustified war'. I've been to both sandboxes several times, and I haven't figured out a whole lot of shit, except that there are some folks who know shit about shit, and love to talk out of their asses.

We'll just keep our heads down and driving on despite...

I wonder if your co-workers are a excited as you are at the prospect of being deployed in the Middle East into your seventies.

We'll just keep our heads down and driving on despite...
...the fact the entire planet from Bush Administration officials to 5-graders knows that the "mission" has been a tragic, colossal, criminal, unwinnable mistake except for the people that have the most to lose, namely you?

It saddens me but doesn't surprise me that those who are still clinging most desperately to the mythologies of this invasion and occupation against all evidence and reason are those who most badly need to, just to get through the day. I guess if I'd seen the things you'd seen, I'd tell myself what I needed to hear too. You guys got fucked over bad. I'm sorry I couldn't have done more.

It saddens me but doesn't surprise me that those who are still clinging most desperately to the mythologies of this invasion and occupation against all evidence and reason are those who most badly need to, just to get through the day. I guess if I'd seen the things you'd seen, I'd tell myself what I needed to hear too. You guys got fucked over bad. I'm sorry I couldn't have done more.

Fah...Q you condescending fuck. If you want to help out the soldiers, start sending care packages. Start sending phone cards. Dont' give me this tired fucking drivle that you want to help us.

You see us as blue collar assholes that couldn't get a job anywhere else. You think you have all the right answers and that if we just had the chance to understand, we would see how futile our lives are.

Spare me bitch, I do this because I want to. I love it; because I love my country. So fuck off.