Join a deep water soloing/ and swim posse!

Jens

Does anyone own a ski boat, bass fishing boat, or any other small boat that has an outboard or inboard that is trailerable?

I'm looking for about 3-8 people that would be interested in making a couple of trips to Banks Lake in July and August with the intent of deep water soloing at any level and some swimming also. The rock would be hot but the water would feel good and has sane landings. We could all go in on gas. It would be awesome. My ski boat is moored at a lake near Mt. Rainier and my other relatives that I share it with, won't let me take it out of the water so my boat is no go. Canoes, kayaks, rafts, and rowboats are lame and can't accomodate enough people.

-------

Banks has clear deep water right below routes form 5.7 to 5hard and can be reached in only 3 hours from Seattle.

Anyone interested? It could perhaps be the funnest days of climbing all year.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a boat, 1989 Sea Ray 190, that will hold about 7 or so folks. It needs some minor TLC, registration, insurance and a licensed driver (OR anyhow). Also, it's in PDX.

I could get the registration, insurance and license but would probably like some help cleaning and making a minor repair to the carb. due to non-use for several years.

Let me know who wants to help work on the boat so we can get it out to explore. Banks Lake, the Gorge ??? Gas is an issue though.

Anyhows, I was wondering why I kept this thing around. This could be it.

...How about DWS on the Columbia river?

That would be really cold, even in the middle of summer. Even here at the lower end (Tri-Cities) it hovers around high 50s/low 60s in the middle of the holocaust season.

Plus, I don't know of anyplace where the cliffs over the Columbia would lend themselves to DWS. Anyone?

Oh, and I be up for it! :)

Edited by sobo

Definitely have no boat, definitely have money to chip in for gas, and would be happy to get dirty taking apart your carb. I'm also in PDX. Just got back from some pitiful deep water solo/"hard and cold" fest in the Arizona canyon country. This would be awesome.

Let me know how I can help.

I own a canoe and a couple sea kayaks that can be used, even though they don't partay as hard as the bigger craft.

I still choose them over a stinky unreliable outboard any day!

Oh, how many times have I been passed by the hotshot boat full of pussy and beer, only to have it break down a minute later...

Those motor head types get so easily embarrassed when you ask them if they need a tow.

Oh, the bass, walleye fishing at Banks is off the hook at the moment.

Sweeny DWS in the Grand Canyon

GC_397_Brian.jpg

I have access to a 10 foot zodiac with 10 hp outboard. Rated for 4 fat people/1100 lbs and fits in the back of my Honda accord when deflated.

I've been thinking of heading out there some weekend when its rainy here and not there to check out the DWS possibilities. Is the rock actually steep enough that a fall would be clean? How much DWS'able rock is there out there? pictures?

Climbed at Banks a few years back.

Dirty, but great stuff there.

No route book, no anchors to speak of.

We cleaned and pioneered a thin crack route with a small mossy slab crux that was around 10c. Super fun. Didn't DWP though, due to fall hazards.

Belayed right out of the boat.

Named it "Mossra".

Ended the day with 60' cliff jumping.

Good times.

• 2 months later...
Climbed at Banks a few years back.

Dirty, but great stuff there.

No route book, no anchors to speak of.

We cleaned and pioneered a thin crack route with a small mossy slab crux that was around 10c. Super fun. Didn't DWP though, due to fall hazards.

Belayed right out of the boat.

Named it "Mossra".

Ended the day with 60' cliff jumping.

Good times.

Just found this thanks to Sobo. :wave:

There is indeed a book; it's been out now since 2006. Lots of new routes, anchors, and potential for more. Available only through Mountain Gear that I'm aware of. Rock Climbs of Central WA by Rick LaBelle.

Yes, Banks Lk rock is dirty: it's granite, but it's older granitic gneiss, exposed throughout the northern part of Banks under the newer, overlying basalt. Even "clean" routes, because of the relatively little traffic, will have some loose rock. Look out for poison ivy and rattlers, but there's certainly lots of potential for boat climbing and DWS.

There is indeed a book; it's been out now since 2006. Lots of new routes, anchors, and potential for more. Available only through Mountain Gear that I'm aware of. Rock Climbs of Central WA by Rick LaBelle.

Last I checked the main REI downtown also had copies... that's where I got mine.