Wherever you were, go back there next weekend

builder206

I don't care for Labs. Bully breeds are no more a risk than any other dog

I get really tired of this BS. Bully breeds are more dangerous.

:tup: Glad someone called BS on this BS. Pit bulls are definitely more dangerous -- statistically. Google it.

Think about it, Muff -- they are a more powerful dog, so, assuming that ALL dogs have the same propensity for violence (an unfair claim, but let's assume it), then a more powerful dog is by definition more dangerous. Duh. What is more dangerous? A pitbull, or a toy poodle? You're saying a pit bull isn't more risky than a toy poodle -- not even a little bit? :rolleyes:

Sorry muff, but you know it's true.

what i am saying is that a pit bull has no more propensity for attackign and killing anything than any other dog of comperable size. A toy poodle could not likely hunt and kill meat and provide for it's self. a boxer or mastif or pit bull or husky or malmute or lab could. you all are stuck on pit bulls. pit bulls have a horible reputation BECAUSE of what people have trained them to do. I don't think i will be training any dog i have to fight, nor will i be beating the shit out of my dog on a regualre basis. the dogs you read about are killers becuase they were trained to be killers. it is not often that any dog pit bull or other attacks and kills with out provocation. I don't have to google it, I already have. I have read both sides of the issue. have you?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Muffy, look at the statistics:

Pits and Pit/Rot/Wolf mixes are BY FAR the most danergous, STATISTICALLY. How can you disagree?

EVERY pit owner I know admits this, except for you (well, you're not an owner yet.) The fact that you dispute the fact that they are a potentially lethal animal makes me think you should NOT own one.

I think sometimes people forget we are all talking about the same species of animal. It's liek arguing that a lyon is less dangerous than a tiger.

Is a lion more dangerous than a tabby?

that goes back to your toy poodle. I gave an example of comperable size.

Muffy, look at the statistics:

Pits and Pit/Rot/Wolf mixes are BY FAR the most danergous, STATISTICALLY. How can you disagree?

EVERY pit owner I know admits this, except for you (well, you're not an owner yet.) The fact that you dispute the fact that they are a potentially lethal animal makes me think you should NOT own one.

I am not arguing the statistics. I do realize that there are more attacks by the dogs you metiond. I believe the reason to be that those dogs are bred and kept by people who train them inappropriately not that there is something inharrantly wrong with the breed.

wow just on the first page chows have more bites than every one of the bully breeds

add husky great dane and german sheperds to the list of dogs hwo bite more than bully breeds

the pit bull terrior is far and away the worst of the bunch. however i still think it is more the pepople than the dog. if you look at the pitbull boxer mix it is so low it doesn't even show up on my raidar. and that was the dog i was looking at over the weekend.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Historically dog attacks fluctuate by breed. Right now pit bulls rank highest for fatal mauling - but in the past German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Dobermans have been in the lead. For most of the 90's Rottweilers ranked highest - and only recently have pit bulls taken the lead again.

I'm of the mindset that any dog will bite under the right circumstances so one should always be aware of the consequences in case of a bite. That said - I have a pit bull / lab mutt and he's a pretty nice dog. Unless you're a squirrel.

Historically dog attacks fluctuate by breed. Right now pit bulls rank highest for fatal mauling - but in the past German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Dobermans have been in the lead. For most of the 90's Rottweilers ranked highest - and only recently have pit bulls taken the lead again.

I'm of the mindset that any dog will bite under the right circumstances so one should always be aware of the consequences in case of a bite. That said - I have a pit bull / lab mutt and he's a pretty nice dog. Unless you're a squirrel.

I was going to mention that. I have read that it has to do with what dog is a populare breed at the time. in the 70's it was Dobies who were the killers. What i have heard is that it is the massive inbreeding and over breeding that can happen when certin breeds are populare. thats why mix breeds don't seem to have the same issues....

After reading that link this is what it is clear that the paper was writen with an agenda. I do believe that Bully breeds require breed specific training. They are not just like labs or other dogs. but then labs require differnet training than poodles.

My mother-in-law has a pit bull she rescued from a shelter. It came from a larger city and it has issues. She has to work continually with the dog and it has already bitten one person. She talks to a pet psychic (I'm not kidding), sees a personal dog trainer and has a doggie masseuse come by once a week for stress relief. If you get a pit bull you might get lucky... or you might get a dog you have to work with all the time just to keep it under control. Once your dog shows signs of aggression either your life changes drastically to make sure it never bites anyone - or you chain the dog up in the back yard the rest of it's life. Either way it would suck. Personally I want a dog I can take out around strangers not have to worry about growling and nips.

PS... I always have to like my favorite dog photo... this is my old dog Pharaoh. He died last spring - World's best dog. He was not really aggressive... honest!

Finley_oldpix%20-%20058.jpg

The bull ("Debo") was actually a pet we raised from a bottle. He used to come up and stick his head in the car window when you pulled up - scared visitors to death. Pharaoh used to run circles around Debo trying to get him riled up but Debo never got excited about anything. (BTW this was taken at my parent's farm outside of Cville VA.)

YOu my dear Bug are breedist. thats the same as being racist if you ask me

I may be a breedist but mostly I am a sizist. Big dogs of most breeds will act as the dominant pack leader. Children and most adults do not understand this. All I am saying is "keep your ("you" as in all dog owners) dogs under control" and I will do my best to stay out of your way and keep my children out of your way. It is when people assume their loving pets are just as important as people that I get pissed. Anyone who has kids and dogs knows what I mean. Your dog does not have the right to play in an area like the lower town wall at the expense of my kids' experience.

(i like dogs way more than i like people)

You might like me. I am a lot like a dog in many ways.

I had a mutt for 17 years.

He weighed about 25 lbs and had about twenty seven breeds of mini-dog mixed in but thought he was a pit bull.

That was before the days of neutering so he "got around".

There even St Bernards that had puppies that were his spittin image.

He had a motto; "If you can't screw it, piss on it."

I feel like I constantly hear from Pit Bull owners that it is the "training" of the dog, and not the dog itself that will determine whether or not the dog will attack. This is not the case in my opinion, or according to statistics. It was stated earlier that many of these breeds of dogs were bred specifically for fighting, as opposed to retrieval or sniffing or whatever. That is why they attack more, and when they do attack, it is called a "mauling" rather than a "bite". My brother was attacked by a pitbull when he was 7 years old, by a well behaved, mature dog that had a professional trainer/breeder as an owner, and the dog had never attacked anyone in it's life. The owner was beside himself and couldn't believe it. My brother did absolutely nothing to provoke the dog, he just tripped over a toy on the floor next to the dog. He almost lost his calf muscle.

People who have Pitbulls or any other of the fighting breeds should have a very good reason to do so, otherwise they are either really brave or really stupid to put themselves, their family, and their financial well-being on the line just to have one of these dogs. No matter what, no matter how disciplined your dog may be, there will be situations that occur that are out of the ordinary, that put your dog on edge, that are out of your control. You should expect that your dog could attack anyone at anytime and that the attack will be more than just a bite or nip (like it would be with most other breeds).

To say that other breeds are the same or have the same propensity to attack, even if true, does not take into account the severity of the attack.

~we climbers should push for train depot in Index so commute cost is decreased...

But then the train would be cancelled because they can't charge enough to make the fuel work... mass transit is going to shut down across the country pretty soon as everyone stops driving their cars...

I was going to mention that. I have read that it has to do with what dog is a populare breed at the time. in the 70's it was Dobies who were the killers. What i have heard is that it is the massive inbreeding and over breeding that can happen when certin breeds are populare. thats why mix breeds don't seem to have the same issues....

After reading that link this is what it is clear that the paper was writen with an agenda. I do believe that Bully breeds require breed specific training. They are not just like labs or other dogs. but then labs require differnet training than poodles.

By the way, the study linked was from 1982 - 2006 -- this isn't a recent development.

I was at the Holcomb Valley Pinnacles, first time but not the last. Reasonably close by, and decent climbing on good granite. Kind of a small main area and we saw more people than we expected.

All this talk about pits...anyone remember Petey from the Little Rascals? Petey was an american pit bull terrier IIRC.

By the way, the study linked was from 1982 - 2006 -- this isn't a recent development.

Rottweilers responsible for most fatal dog attacks on humans - 9/15/00

Pretty small study -- 91 - 98. I'd prefer 82 - 06 -- either way, according to the quote in the article you link,

Pit bulls led all breeds for fatal attacks between 1979 and 1998, with at least one pit bull involved in 66 mauling deaths, the study said. Rottweilers were blamed for 37 -- most of those in the 1990s -- followed by German shepherds with 17 and huskies with 15.

So, a pit is more likely to kill you, whereas a rott will just maim you?

Sure, your article aquits pitbulls entirely :rolleyes:

I said it fluctuated - thats all. Regardless -- the likelihood of being mauled by a pit bull is very slim. You're more likely to get gang raped in the park or die from eating too many hamburgers. People get so worked up over loose dogs - what happens when they travel out of suburban USA?