[TR] tieton royal columns and the bend - 5.4 to 5.11b 5/24/2008

Trip: tieton royal columns and the bend - 5.4 to 5.11b

Date: 5/24/2008

Trip Report:

Fletch, Christine and I had a great Memorial day trip to Tieton. We climbed nothing but cracks for 3 days in great weather, though we did have rain one night, and a short shower one day that dried immediately.

Christine wanted to put some dents in her shiny new rack. I loved climbing on new gear instead of my antique stuff, gotta' get me some of that. Fletch and Christine are both professionals in the medical field, wow, so much integrity...and Fletch brought his guitar. I had my blues harp...fun times around the campfire!

This is me starting up inca roads, a 5.9 crack at royal columns. The crack starts out with a 5 inch offwidth which narrows down to 5.9 finger locks at the top.

Now that I know where the rests are I'd like to try it again without the hand dogging.

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

This is Christine starting up a 5.6 called twin cracks. When I cleaned it for her I was amazed at the run outs between some of the pieces up in the fist jam section at the top. When I asked her about it, she said she'd run out of large stuff and decided to go for it. At the very top exit move, her protection was a tied off baseball sized chockstone...nice work Christine!

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

This gal was from Seattle. Despite being short, she cruised the roof move. This is a 5.8 route called render us weightless. Fletch calls this the "move of the future".

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

Fletch leading the roof.

IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

I think this is a self portrait.

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

Fletch leading Orange Sunshine, 10b. It was a desperate series of vertical fingerlocks, with very thin feet. We couldn't believe he led it without hanging. After this climb we started calling him our ropegun.

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Me cleaning Orange Sunshine. Those were razor sharp fingerlocks. That's a grimace of pain...sweet route!

IMG_4377.jpg

This is Fletch cleaning Ed's Jam, 5.8, a beautiful 200 foot handjam crack. It's similar to Karate in the quality of the jams, but much easier...a stellar cruiser.

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

This is ropegun Fletch leading an eleven something at the Bend. It was another desperate fingerlock fest. I have no idea how he can lead these things while placing pro. It was desperately hard to hang on while toproping...fun stuff! Christine found that her smaller fingers gave her a distinct advantage in the thin fingerlocks. She cruised up it in excellent style while pulling gear.

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

TeamRubicon.jpg

Hanging-belays.jpg

Can't wait to go back again!

Gear Notes:

one quarter inch stoppers up to a 6 inch cam, including a number 2 big bro if you like the offwidths (inca roads)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent report. Love the pics, especially Christine's "permasmile", as Bug put it in an earlier thread (Peshastin Pinnacles).

So does Fletch alternate between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet while on lead? For a medical professional, I'd like to know his reasoning on that score.

And speakling of helmets, love your old Joe Brown there, mark. I gots me a yellow one just like that, and an insulated orange "Fritz" for ice/winter climbing. Heavy as a battleship!

Christine does love to climb, great partner. As far as Fletches helmet, or lack thereof...I have no idea. I gave up questioning why people do or do not wear helmets a couple decades ago.

He also had on a minnie mouse scarf, perhaps the lack of a helmet on that climb was a personal statement?

I always wear mine, but there were many times back in the eighties where I would have the only helmet on a cliff of twenty climbers. Go figure.

Why do people ride motorcycles when it is so obviously dangerous?

Maybe we all have to find our own level of acceptable danger to get the adrenaline payoff?

Yah, I remember those days. I didn't start wearing a helmet until about 10 years ago. I watched a guy take a decking at Peshashtin Pinnacles in 1999 from the top of Orchard Rock (his write-up is in ANAM 2000, pages 71-72), and our group assisted them before medics arrived (one of our group is an MD). I didn't bring a brain bucket with me that day, since I hadn't started wearing one yet, but after seeing that broken guy and his broken GF/fiance' get hauled out of there, I started wearing me old Joe Brown ever after.