Methow Mt. Biking

rbwen

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was in winthrop this weekend... did sun mountain on sat in the blistering heat. magpie, lower/upper inside passage, meadowland, rader, patterson lake

meadowland was scenic, but basically just a dirt road. nothing technical. rader was the most interesting technically.. reminded me of the trails in st. edwards park. patterson lake was fun, especially the exposure above the lake.

i'm a total mtn-biking noob, so if i'm saying that their black-diamond trails are easy, they are. my first time using front suspension (i feel like it's cheating). i was the goober wearing baggy yellow shorts and old leather boots on flat pedals.

on sunday we thought better of the 100+ weather and hit the ice cream and the lake (pearrygin state park).

i have to give thumbs-up to twisp river pub, east-20 pizza, grubstake in winthrop, and local 98856 in twisp for good food. the pizza and the pub are probably the cheapest. 98856 is only open for breakfast/lunch.

The trail to Cutthroat is melted out as far as the lake, then the snow gets patchy. You can get across the first stream crossing above the lake easily, but the second is a torrent and I couldn't get around it (I didn't bring sandals).

The West Fork reputedly has a lot of blow down on it this year, but is a nice ride out and back- some exposed sections. Call the ranger station in Winthrop on that one.

Cedar creek is a good ride, but a little minimal on the views until you get to Aspen Meadows (around 3-4 miles).

I like the ride up Sandy Butte from the Freestone Inn- single track purists may scoff at riding an old road, but it's hammered enough to provide some more technical sections in spots, is about 8-9 miles to the top and with temps here in the 100's as of late, very shady.

Edited by fredrogers

So I got a question for you all I am coming back to Seattle and will have my bike, but I have a friend flying from the east coast and was thinking it might be fun to take him on some rides. Are there any places to rent decent mountain bikes, in the Methow or in other spots where there is some good riding?

Yeasterday I went out for one of my last rides in Rwanda. It was a five hour over several hills, one being a good 1000ft climb. Finished it off with a beers and bbq. I am going to miss the riding here, it is so good that I will contemplate taking a trip back just to do some more mountain biking in Rwanda. Even after almost 4 years of riding here 2-3 times a week, I still got on new trails yesterday. I have never been some place with so many damn trails.