Climbers Training Manual

layton

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikey,

I have only read the first few pages so far. I think this is a great piece and i am as always impressed with your eloquence and your concern for how people use and misuse their bodies. I will finish reading this over the weekend. so far my first question is... is this training something that someone could keep up for the long term? or is it just meant for the 22 weeks?

xoxoox

muffin

No it's long term, I've cycled it so if you actually stick to the plan, you can reward yourself by longer rests b/t training and shortened training weeks each time around. It's pretty hard to stick to the program, but better to aim high, eh?

The whole 2nd half is an alpine tips book

Great piece, I`ll see if I cant find some constructive critism over the next few days.

For throwing thin ropes on rappel you could mention dasychainning them and then throwing thr daisy chain as a coil. I`ve found the weight of the dasychained rope to feed well and to work well becouse of its weight in high winds. Have not tried it with anything smaller then a 8mm cord though. Also might be about the same or shorter then the stuffsack method.

Cheers

robert, I don't get your daisy chain situation.

Do you mean to lap coil each rope and holster them in a daisy chain or sling - so when you rap, you're feeding the rope instead of tossing it? If so, I just added that to the rappelling section, as well as adding having the first person do a "test-pull" and also the 2nd sliding the knot down while on rappel.

I also added some stuff like duct-taping tri-cams and pro/cons of using your helmet for storage.

The 2nd edition will include comments from the board, full color photos of all exercises, anecdotes, and injury rehab.... and will possibly be for sale.

So keep the comments/tips and criticisms coming.

Anyone read the nutrition section? I went on a major geek out for that one.

One section that is entirely missing is on Aid climbing tips. I don't aid climb very well and if someone wants to write that, I'll stick it in. I imagine that could take up a LOT of pages and require a LOT of diagrams.

Another interesting section would be international travel tips/tricks. But I've only been to Canada and my only tip is to phrase everything like a question to blend in.

No it's long term, I've cycled it so if you actually stick to the plan, you can reward yourself by longer rests b/t training and shortened training weeks each time around. It's pretty hard to stick to the program, but better to aim high, eh?

The whole 2nd half is an alpine tips book

I always aim high... that way when I fail I can say it is becuase it was too hard ;)

I am still working on reading this. Hope to be threw it by the end of the weekend and I will have more to say then. I do have some comments about things I like.

I love that the writing is how you talk. It is plain, honest and that comes through. Your style reminds me of John Long who i would read just to read even if the text had nothing to do with anything I am interested in.

I think pictures and diagrams will help a ton. I am a retard and i need visual aids.

I think it would be awsome to have a section about aid climbing. I have not given up totaly on learning to do that one day :)

p.s. if you can train away my rope management issues (that i have had since i started climbing) that would be really amazing :cool:

Mikey,

I finished going threw this manual. WOW what an incredible collection of information, experience, ideas and advice. Truly Brilliant. I did find a couple of spelling and grammatical errors (weird huh?) but i am nit picky.

I think my favorite part, the part that made me laugh out loud... was the suggestions for the first aid kit ;) it falls right in line with the Muffy theory on climbing... "Always be the weakest/slowest member of the party"

the nutrition part part was very informational.it made me realize how i cold eat all i wanted to when i was climbing regularly, becuase i was putting out so much more energy then i could fuel on those active days. it seems like i was naturally storing and using storing and using. I kinda knew that but i had never seen a mathematical equation to spell it out.

I know it is dorky but i do want a signed copy of this. Your brilliance makes me happy.

xoxoxooxox

Muffy

p.s. we should talk soon about my health. I am doing quite a bit better. I am on new meds and i have been doing acupuncture. it is amazing!!! still not climbing but i can at least work out some and hike a little bit.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Nice Muffy!

The next update will have some big changes. It's amazing how many times you can read something and find something wrong you want to change.

Autoimmune problems are really challenging. You'll pull through. If something is helping, keep doing it. If it's not, stop and try something else.