[TR] Two White Boys on a Big White Hill - Cheam Peak - Random NW couloirs 5/24/2008

enjoying seeing the young kids getting into shit, especially in blue jeans

yah, we kinda get lost in the 'necessary' gear propaganda, don't we. go back a ways, and when the Squamish Hard Core (Hugh Burton, Steve Sutton, Greg Shannon, and Gordie Smaill) did the 2nd alpine style ascent of the Cassin in 1977, Gordie wore jeans for the entire frikkin climb! I don't think they were so broke that he couldn't afford pile pants or whatever, it was just an attitude thing! they were just bigger and badder than ANY climb...

(not that ignorance and arrogance won't also get you killed, of course, but they DID survive, there and elsewhere - 2nd ascent of the NA for Gordie, for instance.)

bits of the story are available online (lotsa laughs):

link

keep on doing what you're doing, Marc - you're doin FINE!

cheers,

Edited by fern

OMFG. You mean this isn't a troll?

So this guy here (from a recent trip report):

btw.. my climb is Called Murder in the Dark and is 5.10d or 5.11a (not sure yet) The second pitch is going up soon too. Did you see the cave to the right of the two routes? I managed to climb out the cave and up the face on TR.. it goes at about hard 5.11d or 12a

is the guy above sporting the jeans, external frame, and belaying across what appears to be a ski area?

:lmao::lmao:

it IS frikkin hilarious isn't it! not quite what 'the label on the box' would have you expect - I think it's called "individualism"!

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This is an excellent example of how you should never judge someone like this.  Obviously young, enthusiastic, and getting after it.  Everyone starts somewhere, and he was out getting better and learning.

It is also a pretty cool genesis moment, but then not really because i think Marc was pretty good at pulling plastic before this.

And summitchaserCJB pretty much left permanent record of how big of a douche he was at that time.  But people mature and evolve, so maybe he is a cool dude now, who knows.

• Like 1

Well after reviewing his body of work you'd think the guy was a clever troll.  That would be the best possible possibility, unfortunately. 

Also put up "FAs" on the rock to the right of Toxic Shock and on Mt Si's Haystack!  :lmao:

Also is a Tooth speed climber.  10 minutes!

And for some reason...is BANNED. lol.  good stuff, I think he may be in the running for some sort of an award.

I wouldn't know all this but I'm trying to find all the reported FAs on the site, and so of course I come across his....

• Snaffled 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the bump, this is a classic TR and super timely. How things change in just 10 years. To quote Marc: 

I just do my best to get out and climb so when im older and can go to more extreme places I will have more experience...

Seems to me he certainly did that. I only knew him through the virtual world and private emails, donated some cams to him when he lost his rack on his first foray on Slesse, but the world is a little bit dimmer without him in it.