Darrington -- Clear Creek Road Blocked

bradeleneis

I'm just back visiting so this may be old news, but I went up to Darrington yesterday to have a look around and Clear Creek Road (Forest Service 2060) was blocked at about 1.5 miles past the turn-off by a decent sized avalanche, with many broken trees across the road and big piles of snow. Parked and hiked up the road a ways from the avaolanche -- the road looks like it is a bit washed out in parts (would not be passable except with a high-clearance vehicle) and has many fallen trees across it. Still deep snow on the road well before the Squire Pass Trail to 3'oclock rock and we only had tennis shoes, so we turned back. Probably be quite a while before the road is passable for traffic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hike to 3:00 Rock is about 11 miles RT. Road bed appears intact for a higher clearance vehicle with some effort and chainsaw action just as bradeleneis mentioned. The continuation to Green Giant looked rather covered in windfall, and the Blueberry Hill spur may have lots of new debris under the 23rd Psalm drainage where it crosses the road (viewed from across the valley). Interestingly, Clear Creek has a big log jam I've never seen before, just to the west of the Witch Dr wall approach spur.

All in all- not too bad for the record snowfalls-

MH

• 4 weeks later...

I was up there Sunday-

Looks like snow pile has melted enough to drive over, then trees across road before Asbestos Creek. Chainsaw required-

Post up if you make a dent in the lumber- i'll likely be up there again soon

M. Hanna