SAR People - Question regarding fundraising

Off_White

I had a come on for donations from Washington Search and Rescue Association, a part of NWSAR which claims to support SAR groups. Is this outfit legit and familiar to people? According to the Sec of State this is a new group, so there's no track record from 2007, and I know there was a pretty fradulent "fundraising" group awhile back.

Anyway, my company is game to kick some money towards SAR, but I want to make sure it goes to the right place, and I figured you folks would have the skinny on the best way to do that.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would donate directly to the team you want it to go to. Go to their website or call their local contact number to see how to donate. My group belongs to King County Search & Rescue. I know for sure that KCSARA has no ties the group you mention.

I'd agree with Doug...from my limited time it seems theres too much political bullshit to actually have that work. Just pick the one you want to donate to and give to them

To be sure, wait for Paul (sobo) to chime in. he knows everything

Donate to the unit you care about directly. They're all tax-exempt donations these days.

I'm not familiar with the Washington Search & Rescue Association, and I don't believe that my unit (Everett Mountain Rescue) has any ties to it. They may very well be legit -- their contact page says they'll provide info on their financial and fundraising activities.

Edited by mkporwit

Yeah, this confirms what I was thinking when I opened the envelope and was looking at it. They initially approached me via phone and I told them I never donate money over the phone (true) and could they send me something in writing.

Makes sense: an extra layer of bureaucracy, even if legit, just spends some of that money on their infrastructure rather than putting it to the use I want it to go to. Thanks all. :moondance:

O_W:

You operate exactly as my dad does (no commitment of funds over the phone - send something in writing), and by extension, myself. And I, too, have never heard of WA Search and Rescue Association. I smell some bad carp here...

Almost everything that needed to be said on this topic has already been said above. I would add, however, that if you intend your donation to go to a mountain rescue unit of your choice, then you must be very specific about that direction. It would be best to contact that MR unit directly through their website or through a unit member. Otherwise, your donation may be lost in the general fund of the county SAR treasury and go towards such things as administration, 4x4 team, snowmobile team, quad team, K-9 team, dive rescue team, swiftwater team, groundpounders, etc. I mentioned this issue on page 2 of the Kevin LaFleur thread.