One Less Landmark

AlpineK

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, that thing has been boarded up for months. What about Sunset Bowl on Market? It's getting the axe, as well.

It's all about condos in Ballard today. I'm sure the Sunset Bowl is soon to be gone as are most of the old time Norwegians.

Times change. My family lived in Georgetown when that was where all the German immigrants went to. Back before it was even part of Seattle.

[font:Arial Black] Free Georgetown and Ballard[/font]

It's all about condos in Ballard today.

You got that right. They said the developer proved that he wouldn't be able to make a profit without tearing down the Denny's. Even without taking out the Taj Mahal of Ballard, it is a huge parcel - as big as or bigger than the last three buildings that went up right there in the last couple of years - so I find that hard to believe.

They called it the Taj Mahal of Ballard back when it was new.

Right on about the sprawl and density confusion, though in the case of Ballard I don't think taking a 10 x 10 block area and zoning the entire thing for nothing but 5-story apartment/condo's is really a great way to build density.

• 1 month later...

Denny's is going down RIGHT NOW. They started with the cool part, and the Taj Mahal of Ballard is no more. Now they are tearing down the less interesting extensions of the building.

First it was the Taxidermy shop and now this. Ballard will never be the same.

They called it the Taj Mahal of Ballard back when it was new.

Right on about the sprawl and density confusion, though in the case of Ballard I don't think taking a 10 x 10 block area and zoning the entire thing for nothing but 5-story apartment/condo's is really a great way to build density.

Worked for the Soviets.

Asthetic, appropriate density is preferable to the kind of "Developer, do whatever the fuck you want" density that is currently destroying Ballard's historic character. The tenements that are being built in Ballard right now destroy the streetscape, the light, the architecture, and the overall feel of the place. There are ways to built multi unit structures that don't, but the concept that you can have density, quality, and historical continuity might be a little too complex for some of the posters here.

Or the kind of "density" that built a 1.2 million dollar McMansion econobox on my street full of old craftsman homes. Fortunately, it's been on the market now for nearly a year and a half. Even better; the graffiti artists have discovered it.

Seattlite land use congnitive dissonance: despise sprawl/loathe density.

I don't really know how involved you are in building Seattle, but we are stacking more and more units on a smaller and smaller pieces of land, for several years. Likewise, in my neighborhood they are tearing down single-family homes and putting up 6-plexes. Things are getting more dense. Additionally, the City has raised the moratorium on height restrictions in the downtown core; this will help density. Take a look at the South Lake Union area; single-story buildings are being replaced with multi-story mixed use buildings.

How about putting in some parking in Ballard for all these new units? Yeah, it's nice to think we'll all bike everywhere and cars are not necessary in the utopian future, but thats a pipe dream. Build some F***ing garages and off street parking!

the social engineers have a plan for you, buddy. get with the program

How about putting in some parking in Ballard for all these new units? Yeah, it's nice to think we'll all bike everywhere and cars are not necessary in the utopian future, but thats a pipe dream. Build some F***ing garages and off street parking!

They have underground parking. They're required to. You just can't see it cuz, like, it's underground.

The amazing thing is that all of this new development isn't actually resulting in increased density. We're simply replacing single family homes that housed 4-5 people with four apartments which house a single person each.

If you look on the census bureau web site, you'll find that while housing units are increasing in Seattle, the population has actually declined since 2000.

Vacancy rates have increased and the average number of persons per household has declined. At this rate, in another twenty years there will be no families whatsoever living in Seattle.