Mt Adams - Road into Cold Springs Campground??

I know that the USFS site says, "Roads to the South Climb Trailhead begin melting out rapidly in May. However, it typically takes to late June before you can drive all the way to the trailhead. This year it might by July." but I'd like to know if anyone knows how the snow melt is going? How many miles from vehicle to trailhead?

We're looking to climb this route mid June and just want to get a feel for how much distance we'll have to cover on skis.

Thanks,

Tim

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch, we had planned to do the mazama glacier june 2nd, but are putting it off until late june to late july now.

crazy snow this year!

You might as well wait longer anyway and get to go in through Bird Creek Meadows in the reservation - much shorter approach to Sunrise camp and the Mazama that way (and legal). Last year they opened access to the reservation July 1st - we were tempted to cut into the Mazama from Cold Springs a few days before opening but weather made us push it to opening day and I'm glad it did.

• 2 weeks later...

I was up yesterday, and it is a good 5 miles to the TH. At least, a little ways up from where you have to park, there is a sign that says there are curves for the next 5 miles!

By the way, you might be tempted to plow through the first drift blocking the road...and in a few days you might even make it. But, it will do little good as the next drifts are less than a quartermile around the corner, and you won't make it past those!

The shitters at the TH are probably covered up about 8-10 feet or so. It looks like they actually cleared the doors, but it lends new meaning to the phrase "deep shit".

Anyway, it's a long walk to the top.

I'll try to post some pics later.

It's "mostly" continuous from the TH down to Morrison Creek.

That said, there are several downed trees across the road and a few bare spots on the road.

I had a board, and it's not particularly fun from the TH down, but between riding, skating, and hiking it wasn't too ridiculous.

Hellacious ride from high on the mountain though. I'd say we had multiple miles continuous!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...