Winkie Dinkie Cliff Index

Crillz

Per the guidebook you can hike up to this area. I'm pretty sure I was at the K cliff, but when I went up the gully that I think was in between the K cliff and the Lip it looked sketchy. I'm not sure if this is because it's early in the season and the approach isn't semi-cleared, or I was in the wrong place. We didn't want to get into the wrong area and send down rocks.

Can anyone offer some directions? Maybe getting there is easier via GNS.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crills:

several years ago I tried the same trail, I think, and had the same reaction. The approach from the top of Great Northern Slab is as described above - short and easy to follow. There used to be a lot more loose rock perched in the woods directly above the top of GNS but now it is pretty decent.

GNS or Aires or one of the other variations in that area is the best option for access...the hike looks like it would cross the wet grassy slabs to the left of the top of GNS which would be sketch.

One 60 is sufficient to rap from the mid wall if you make use of a slung tree above winki dinky cliff.

Last time I was up there you could also access the mid wall from the top of gorilla my dreams my making a short (roped) scramble up a piece of old fixed rope though this could probably stand to be replaced/backed up if it is still there.

It is possible to string together a good selection of moderate climbs by doing this...there is also a decent 2-3 pitch ~5.7 to the right of winki dinki above the top of breakfast of champions, plumb pudding and robins ramps on the mid wall are fun.

My dog and I scrambled up to the winkie dink cliff via k cliff last summer. It wasn't bad at all. I thought he wouldn't be able to make it up the steep section just up and right ot k cliff but he charged it. Still, unless you need to bring your dog up there it's probably better to just climb the GNS.