Val d'Aosta/ Chamonix

RuMR

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding rock climbs, I'm not aware of many recent publications. There is a new guidebook by Michel Piola (Mont Blanc Massif: Envers des Aiguilles), but it covers only a fraction of the Mont Blanc area - mainly the back side of the Aiguilles, as the name suggests. I think it is available in English.

Otherwise, you can try to find the old Piola book, or maybe have look at the two-volume select guidebook from the British Alpine Club. I don't know much about these.

For snow, ice and mixed climbs, it's a lot easier (Snow, Ice and Mixed, vol 1&2, available in French and in English)...

So...what's the ex-pat scene like at these places? Decent community???

Inquiring minds want to know...

There might be one two. I have a buddy that might be moving to Swissy but......

all the smart mericans are down South where the sun is warm and the women ....well...I'm married...but there is a reason why Sharma and crew spend so much time here and it only partially about the rock!

For the most part you will find very few American/Brits living in Cham/Zematt environs. Even while I was living in France and climbing there I think the only one was Twight. Many Brits do come over for the summer climbing season. So there is not really much of an ex-pat scene except part of the year. That said the larger community of english speaking ex pats are in deed down south along the Cote d'Azur which is where I lived. I had few a Brits that I skied with in the Maritime Alps mostly around the Parc National de Mercanteur. Most of climbing friends were French.