• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kjack

Sunshine Route conditions

I was planning on skiing the Sunshine Route on Hood this weekend when in the area - does anyone have any info on snow/crevasse conditions above Snowdome?

Thanks,

Keith

was thinking of doing the same thing - i'd imagine it'll be great corn and no crevasse issues at all, given the snowpack and the fact that the great heatwave just broke, bringign fresh precip

That's definitely what we're hoping as well. Kinda surprised to not see any TRs for the route (or the Spur) up yet...

those climbs rarely get tr's - most folks don't wander onto the n side of the mtn anyhow, that's why it's fun to visit

Here's a photo update for you- should give some idea. Took a slog up Defiance in the warm temps on this past Sunday- pretty views, but kinda hazy.

5-18-08_Hood.jpg

I'd tend to say that's quite a bit of snow. Looks like things are much more closed up than when I was last up there on July 4, 2006... Let's just hope for an overnight freeze.

Chad,

Any snow on Defiance when you went up? Meg and I hiked the PCT from Herman Creek CG and were stopped about 5mi. in by 2' snowpack. So much for a training hike!

James,

Shoulda taken a picture of the top. It was impressive...even with the hot temps, there was still a six foot wall of snow by some of the sheds. Crazy!

what's the deal w/ the huge rockfall looking thign in the middle of the coe?

what's the deal w/ the huge rockfall looking thign in the middle of the coe?

How about the avy debris on the Elliot (from Copper Spur) below Tie-in-Rock? Right across my shortcut route on the ski circumnav to avoid losing elevation. I guess high temps in May really do make for good slides!