NIB Silvretta Pure Freeride's w/ 90mm brake size M

lowebacker

I have a brand new in box pair of the new and improved 07/08 Silvretta Pure Freeride randonee bindings with 90mm brakes. The size medium has been known to be maxed out and fit a size 13 boot. These retail for $440 but I will part with them for $230 shipped. PM or email me for pics.

The following was a review taken from Lou Dawson's Blog (wildsnow.com):

"A few days ago we unboxed this coming season’s (07/08) Silvretta Pure Freeride. While substantially the same binding as last year’s offering, this model has several significant improvements that make it much more viable a choice for backcountry skiing.".

"New 07/08 Silvretta Pure Freeride is similar to last year’s model but with significant improvements. Last year’s heel clamp is much beefier and has an extra “double action” that allows it to tilt farther forward in touring mode, thus providing more support for the small tongue of black plastic that supports the binding plate while you’re touring."

"Here is what’s different about the new toe. It has a way of hinging that allows more forward angle when the binding plate and boot are taken to max forward angle in touring mode, which occurs when you fall forward in touring mode (a “knee fall”). The idea is to prevent a knee fall from damaging the binding. On the bench, it looks like this might work as the point of binding damage is well beyond the angle where your knee hits the ski or snow surface. While this sort of damage is uncommon it did occur with earlier Pures, so curing this failure mode is in my opinion a significant improvement."

"The improvements continue, and this is the killer feature. Any backcountry skier worth their avy beacon has worn out the pivot on a plate binding. Often you’re out of luck when this happens, as many AT bindings have a pivot that’s not user serviceable. But with the new Pure you’re totally set, as the pivot axle and bushings are easy to remove and replace by backing off the red star-drive screws on the side and popping the front of the plate out of the bracket."

"There you go, a significantly changed and improved Pure Freeride for this coming season. Downside is the binding has gained weight, and at 35.4 ounces (1002 gr) per binding is only .6 ounces (20 gr) less than a Fritschi Freeride Plus, and is still not quite as laterally stable (meaning resistance to boot cuff forced left/right). So why pick the Pure Freeride over a Fritschi Freeride? I’d say the main reason is tourability. Pure’s big selling point is that the touring pivot is back farther toward the ball of your foot than any other binding, thus providing a natural stride only the Naxo can match or exceed. While this is not a big factor for steep fall-line climbing, it makes a huge difference during low angled tours."

"As for the controversial Pure caveats I blogged a while ago, I’d say this binding and presumably the other 07/08 Pures (which have similar new features*) are improved and thus would require less shopper caution. That said, the crop of new Pure models has not received the ever telling North American consumer abuse testing, so I’ll reserve final judgment until next winter’s early adopters start sending me their emails. Also, I’ll go ski on the binders to keep it real and report back once that’s done."

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic