how is Missoula for climbing?

KingsMM

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Miss-ooh-la-la area has it all--rock, ice, mountains. I don't know much, but Blodgett is nearby (granite multi-pitch), and there's several other areas. At least two gyms: Missoula Rock Garden and another at the U. Good hills/trails to run/bike right out of town. Trailhead is the shop. Lots of climbing choices within a reasonable driving distance; don't know what exists in or just adjacent to town as far as pulling down goes. But the world is at your fingertips around Missoula. I heard a rumor JoJo was going to release soon a climbing guide for the area: if he is, no doubt it'll be worthwhile.

The school has a good rep, especially for certain disciplines. What're ya gonna study?

I only climbed in Montana once back awhile ago. I went to Blodgett Canyon.

Blodgett Canyon :tup::tup:

There's a ton of rad routes to do there, and it isn't too far from where you park.

I've bc skied around Lookout Pass and had a fun time. Other than that downhill skiing at the Missoula Snow Bowl can be pretty fun. It's everything a ski area should be not some fancy pants fuck fuck resort.

That's what I know about Missoula.

Obviously tons of ice climbing, even though the Bozeman area has better ice lines.

For rock take your pick

Blodgett Canyon- numerous multi pitch, some free some mixed aid/free.

Mulky Gulch/Rattlers Gulch- limestone fins, mostly sport

Kootenay Canyon- mixed sport/trad crag

Bass Creek- mini sport crag

Lolo Pass area- lots of granite domes, sport/trad, cool setting.

And numerous other crags within 1 hour drive.

JL

OK, OK.

When I was in college in Missoula I often went for months at a time climbing at least 5 days a week.

All the listed areas are great but what I liked was all the other areas that have not made it into any guide books.

Adventure climbing abounds!

"Big" is 8-12 pitches.

"Medium" 4-8.

"Small" 1-3.

And that is just thte Bitterroots. Gneiss in the lowlands (short approaches 1-3 miles) and clean alpine granite in the divide country (long hikes in).

Lolo domes are spread out but very well developed. Brad Hutchins had a guide out that was last updated in 98 or so.

Pipestone mntring in Missoula will have current guides.

Ice climbing is just OK. When it is in, it is great. But it is nowhere near as consistent as Hylite.

But Boze lacks clean granite crags. Most of the climbig there is smaller crags of limestone and brecca.

If you are willing to drive there is granite all over western MT.

Edited by Bug

Oh, Ice. Almost every winter for a week or two in Jan-Feb there are two small flows that form in Hellgate canyon along the old Milwakee bed. The first one is about 200 yds out and comes right down to the trail. They are both easy and short but better than nothing.

The buildering in downtown Missou is excellent.

The campus has gotten strict but is easy to poach in the dark.

There used to be a legal bouldering area on the back wall of the commons.

Rarely post, but I grew up in Missoula so i'll speak up.

The Rock Garden climbing gym closed last December. A guidebook was just released for Lost Horse, which is an hour drive from Missoula and has some good bouldering and routes. I was told that a new guidebook is in the works for Lolo bouldering, I don't know who's writing it, but I know some hard problems are going up in that area. Also a new guidebook came out a few years back for Butte, which includes Whiskey-some of the best bouldering i've ever done, a little over an hour from missoula...and then there's Lake Koocanusa. Pretty good stuff if you like having an adventure.

How is Missoula, MT for climbing? (Rock, Ice, Mtn... I like it all) I might go to University of Montana next year. Any info on the surrounding area and the college would be awesome.

Thanks,

Kip

Kip,

If you aren't to stoned to remember you already asked a very similar question about colleges earlier this winter. Further this topic has been discussed many other times and I am pretty sure you know where the Missoula section is on Rc.com and mountainproject.com.

Think of it this way Missoula=300+days of Fog a year

Bozeman=300+ days of sunshine each year

How is Missoula, MT for climbing? (Rock, Ice, Mtn... I like it all) I might go to University of Montana next year. Any info on the surrounding area and the college would be awesome.

Thanks,

Kip

Kip,

If you aren't to stoned to remember you already asked a very similar question about colleges earlier this winter. Further this topic has been discussed many other times and I am pretty sure you know where the Missoula section is on Rc.com and mountainproject.com.

Think of it this way Missoula=300+days of Fog a year

Bozeman=300+ days of sunshine each year

There are no rules against asking repeat questions. There are also no rules about being rude.

What ever the case, the 300 rule is fairly accurate. But you break out above the fog at +1400 which is pretty easy to do around Missoula.

The only real advantage Missoula has is the density of excellent rock climbing.