avalanche warning this weekend

godskid5

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

supposed to be 75degrees friday day, and then only 50 degrees overnight!! thats at the 9000 ft level!

we're going up with some noobs afterwork on friday and working on crevasse rescue and anchor building on the snow cliffs around timberline lodge (the ones from the snow plows in the parking lot). then go rock climbing on saturday. should still be a good weekend eh?

any site related to climbing, including all weather sites had the warnings posted! some people just don't think it will happen to them, or don't bother to check first.

and yeah, if you insist on going anyway, get up early, and return early, early, early!!!

temps were above freezing at the summit last night!

Was skinning up on the south side on Sat. Didn't see or hear any of this avy action, but sure was amazed at the numbers of ppl who clearly don't watch tv or surf the web for avy forecasts.

Considering also that there were some large groups topping out around noon, there are a lot of lucking people out there!

Where's Darwin when you need him?

Dude:

Matlock and I drove up on Saturday morning. We knew that the avy danger was high, so we planned on taking a hike up to I-rock or thereabouts and thought we might see some stuff coming off.

We left the car at about 9am and got up to our high point at about 11 am. THERE WERE STILL IDIOTS ASCENDING AT THAT TIME!!

While I agree that earlier on that day probably wouldn't have been much better (it was broiling!!) climbing was just a stupid idea. Sure a lot of people summitted, but...

We did see the ambulance there, but didn't see anything happen.

Rocks and ice were popping off the mountain all over.

Even though we commented about "natural selection" I'm glad the fools are alright.

We went up yesterday (Sunday) figuring that most everything that would have slid had already went. Heard about the Pearly Gates going on Saturday when we were in the lot getting ready to go.

Here's a picture of the upper slopes from the Hogback

2505544531_4f1d4246f2_b.jpg

We went left from the Hogback and climbed to the top of the Mazama chute before skiing back down.

2505544201_8993e47e34_b.jpg

You made a good decision.....Just saw that three climbers were caught in an avalanche up there today....everyone okay.

http://www.kptv.com/news/16317445/detail.html

Clackamas County deputies said Powell McLean, a mountain rescuer from the state of Washington, happened to be on the mountain at the time of the avalanche. McLean climbed back up to help Metcalf out of the snow.

Way to go Powell! CWMR rocks!

(Powell and Crew were doing the Mazama chute)

Sunday night, everything froze up harder than I'd expected from the forecast. Sliding falls were a far greater risk than any surface-driven wet slides when we ascended and descended the Old Chute. In fact, when skiing off the Hogsback at ~9 am, the snow was teeth-vibrating proto-corn. I didn't find truly good snow until ~8k.

You have to go to know, and you have to be willing to go home early.

"You have to go to know, and you have to be willing to go home early"

True.

Just saw one of the kids caught in that avalanche on the news. He was nearly pushed into a crevasse. Mere feet separated him from death. Says he's goin back next year to try again.

I'd recommend he switch out the lead dog on the team for the next go 'round...

d