Desperate plea: Rainier 5/26-31

TerraMedicX

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a tough situation. I've been planning a trip up Rainier for about eight months now, but my partner called me about 15 min ago and told me that he has to cancel due to work problems. So here I am, with a LOT of time, money and emotion invested in a trip up Rainier, and no one to climb with.

I've got an extra climbing permit, and a reservation for Camp Sherman for the dates of 5/26-5/31. I have all of my own personal gear, plus a tent, stove, rope, pickets, runners, biners, etc. I have booked a plane trip and will be arriving in Seattle on the 20th (was planning to climb Baker the 21-24th).

If anyone can get away for that span of time and is interested in making an attempt at the Emmons-Winthrop region of the mountain, please let me know!

Nate.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about it pretty hard for the last few hours...I think I'm just going to cancel the trip and try to cut my losses as much as possible. I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable doing Rainier with someone I've never climbed with. Sorry to crowd the forum for you guys.

That may well be a good call, Mr Terra, but I feel compelled to say that I've picked up a lot of good climbing partners at cc.com and some of the biggest climbs of my career were done with people I had never climbed with before and never saw again. I was able to look them square in the eye and ask about their prior experience before I took a week off work and flew across the country, though.

I hope you are able to get another shot at the Big R. It is a great mountain.

Don't cancel the trip! Just go up there and see if you can fall in with another group that is short. It happens all the time. A group gets to Camp Muir and one or more people aren't feeling well. Seriously. You could save the day for another group that might otherwise turn around.

Don't cancel the trip! Just go up there and see if you can fall in with another group that is short. It happens all the time. A group gets to Camp Muir and one or more people aren't feeling well. Seriously. You could save the day for another group that might otherwise turn around.

He said he's got reservations for Schurmann, so I assume he means the Emmons route.

Nevertheless, that route is plenty busy, and yes, he probably could hook up with another group.

The Emmons route is about as straightforward as it gets, I would strongly consider making a go of it!

I had similarly planned a climb up to Camp Muir then Ingrahm direct to the summit for this weekend but had 2 people bail at last minute (1 injured/1 spouse). I would love to join and see what we can come up with. Also have all gear except wands/GPS. I would like to make the trip up this weekend though as I did not plan on time off during the week. Let me know if you are interested.

TerryMedicX, LeeH, jmo,

I'm interested in hooking up with a group this holiday weekend. I was planning a day hike (maybe an overnighter) at Camp Muir solo, but I would love to join up with a group for a summit attempt.

I've got all of my gear and some group gear. If I don't hear anything, I'll be the one at Camp Muir eating beef jerky and couscous.