Camp spots with solo climbing options nearby??

For the long weekend, the lady wants to do a backcountry camping trip. I'm trying to pick a spot from which I could do a solo climb in the morning. Upto 55-60 degrees on snow/ice, and rock up to 5.5-5.6 should be fine for me to solo, but I'd settle for class 2-3 scrambles if nothing else shapes up. What are some spots with decent views of mountains with such solo options nearby? Water bodies or running water at/near camp spots will be a plus, but not a must. Willing to drive 5-6 hrs from PDX. Colchuck lake is an option (hopefully, the road will be open to the trailhead by next weekend). Would like to hear about other places in OR/WA.

TIA.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Try hiking to Ingalls pass under Mt Stuart. Camp about a mile pass the ridge and and then you climb Ingalls peak. If there is snow (which I am sure there is this time of year), you will get what you need. Ingalls has a couple of rock routes. 5.4 is the easy one. Camping under Mt. Stuart is one of the greatest and most beautiful places to I have ever encountered. About 4 miles to your camp site.

Its just about spot on for a 5 hour car ride.

Isn't that when you are supposed to be preparing a four-course backpacker breakfast and making cappuccinos, after having roamed the countryside at dawn for a corsage of alpine wildflowers? sickie :kisss:

May be I'll pick up the wildflowers on the way back from the climb, and cook a four-course backpacker lunch :grlaf: .

Kevin, I've done Ingalls (SF and ER) before, and is a good suggestion as well for this trip. The road might be the issue though - at least it didn't look like its open yet. This will be only her second backcountry camping trip, so lesser road miles will be better.

I'll look into the Enchantments option - thanks Justin!

Any more suggestions? Anything worth exploring in OR?