Moab or SLC???

AvlNC

i'm taking off to the bee-have state. weigh in on which is better to get a place. sell me on why you think one should be chosen, something more than the city vs small, small town criteria. I will actually be working near Hunington so any moderate Joe's recommendations are welcome too. looking forward to the sunshine and desert and getting a break from the Pac NW deary-ass winter clime. thanks ahead of time for your inputs.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I really like Salt Lake City, I would choose Moab without question. I used to work in Monticello, Utah which is about 50 miles south of Moab and about 7000 feet elevation. Within an hour of this area you hit Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Abajo Mountains (11,360), The Needles, Natural Bridges, canyoneering opportunities, exploring ancient Anasazi ruins -- the list is endless. You will never be at a loss for something to do. I would go back immediately if I could work there again.

I live in SLC and travel Rt6 frequently. Rt6 is one of the most dangerous roads in the US with 1-2 deaths per month. Weekends are worse with the traffic to Mob and Reservoir Fowl. If working in Huntington I would live south as the commute would be a bit safer as you do not need to drive Spanish Fork Canyon, Soldier Summit, and Price Canyon. But traveling through Wellington is speed trap. Personally, I would just find a cheap place near by and ride a bike to work if possible and then escape on the weekends.

yeah, thanks for all the input. keep weighing in. I will be working in the Hunington area for 8 ons and 6 offs so i have lots of down time. I've lived down valley from T'ride (Mancos--yeah, and Cortez--shithole)so am fairly familiar with the Moab-Monticello-Tellride-La Sals area.I've only driven through SLC. know lots of folks that have moved there in the last couple of years and they seem to love it. it'd be nice to live in a place with choices for sure. and it would be nice to live near somewhere i can do some climbing all winter. skiing does not weigh in nearly as much as rock. my guess is the local climbing is pretty much shut out in the winter in SLC and relegates you to road trips and plastic (if one can tolerate that)...been living 30 minutes from smith for 2.5 years so not getting outside year round..hmmm

again thanks for all the ops.

The Mormon influence in SLC is unnoticeable except for the strange liquor laws. I personally enjoy shitty 3/2 beer so I'm in heaven.

I'm going to go climb on perfect granite after work 10 miles from my house...and enjoy a 3/2 beer. The bars are extra fun since obviously everyone there shares one thing in common. Places like the Tavernacle get really rowdy! I f'in love living here.

I love the mormon influence cuz it keeps this place from being another trendy expensive crowded mountain town. If this city was in Colorado or Washington it would be ruined.

The ONLY downside is the summer heat..which Moab would be 10 times worse. Luckily there's lots of shady alpine places to climb in the summer not far from town.

Keep Utah Lame!

The Mormon influence in SLC is unnoticeable except for the strange liquor laws. I personally enjoy shitty 3/2 beer so I'm in heaven.

I'm going to go climb on perfect granite after work 10 miles from my house...and enjoy a 3/2 beer. The bars are extra fun since obviously everyone there shares one thing in common. Places like the Tavernacle get really rowdy! I f'in love living here.

I love the mormon influence cuz it keeps this place from being another trendy expensive crowded mountain town. If this city was in Colorado or Washington it would be ruined.

The ONLY downside is the summer heat..which Moab would be 10 times worse. Luckily there's lots of shady alpine places to climb in the summer not far from town.

Keep Utah Lame!

Kinda how I felt about the religious nutcases in Colorado Springs. Climbing, hiking, biking minutes from my door and 300+ days of sunshine a year.

Not even in the same league as SLC in terms of the scale and quality of the attractions, but the experience of living there gave me an appreciation for the value of certain kinds of Hiptonite.

What the hell is wrong with you Layton, you like 3.2 shit beer???? That is the first time I have ever heard anybody say that one.

SLC- granite, skiing, city life, moderate temps

Moab- sandstone, great mountain biking, town life, hotter than hell in the summer.

I think if I had to choose, it would be SLC, just cause it gets to hot for me in Moab during the summer.

i got the 411 on dat state. i hang there a lot. there is a ton a climbing. moab is okay. slc is better. stashes of great crags all over. winter climbing always possible if a high pressure system is in place. my best argument for slc: international airport. nuf said bitch.