Mt. Baker North Ridge conditions

greeneggs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my bump above, I spoke with one of the Rangers at the Sedro Woolley office this morning (Tuesday May 27th) who advised that they only had one recent TR - May 26th climb via Coleman-Demming glaciers - "warm and wet to the top...take care in and around steep slopes".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Climbed route yesterday. Route is in really good shape. reached the ice pitches via the normal way on the right of the buttress. Looks like some people have gone via the left of the buttress but this will just add more time and is not necessary. As far as route beta goes. Go strait up. There is a small traverese on the summit to avoid a HUGE shrund which is worth walking to the edge of to look into since it is big enough to fit many houses into. To exit the ridge to the summit dogleg very slightly right (20 meters) and go strait up the steep wall to the summit plateau. The route is in icy shape where it should be, and perfect hard snow where it should be. I used bomber ice screw belays on the ice pitches and single ice axe belays above that with solid picket placements for running pro.