Jefferson / N. Sister conditions

96avs01

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road to pole creek is not plowed. Most people just wait till it melts out, which will not happen for a while. With the recent warming I would imagine it is close maybe 5-3 miles from the snow line to the TH.

jefferson is the same story. There is winter approach for Jeff. At the big bend in the road head to jeff park. I have personally not done this but it is the standard winter approach. Have no idea how far you will have to park your car from the big bend ring now.

Last weekend's warm spell did us justice.

i just went up there this morning. A low clearance non 4x4 can get within 1+ mile of the TH. I punched through with a Suburban no problem all the way to the TH. It's not consistent snow, just deeper patches with deep tracks. With some momentum it shouldn't be a problem. Really shitty out there right now, been raining since 4 am, snow is absolute mush down low. Calling for 3-5 inches above 5500 feet. I bet more than that above 7K, it's been pouring in Bend all day. At the TH it was that shitty Hyperthermic mixed rain and snow.

JL

lol Taurus did not have enough clearence to make it. It is about a 15 min walk from where I drove to the TH. Another warm spell and it all should be gone. Go and get it. Not this weekend with the weather. The drive in last night things were looking real good. Glad I did not start my hike in last night. Isn't this central oregon? what the heck is with the rain? Just in time for a 3 day weekend too. Go figure.

Was thinking about a recon to S side of Jefferson this weekend but weather and the long drive was just enough discouragement to keep me in town.

Drove part way out to Eagle Creek today thinking about trying the EC trail - Benson Plateau loop but turned around at Fview exit. The gorge was socked in and raining hard @ 0700...

Sleeping/reading/laundry... fck

d