Removing bolts

rob

So...what's involved in removing bolts, anyway? My knowledge of bolts is very limited....

Assuming we're dealing with expansion bolts, can you just take it out the same way it went in? Or, do you have to pry it out with a crowbar? Is there a sleeve you have to get out?

What about glue-ins? Do you have to saw them off?

How does one fill the hole? Simple epoxy and a little dirt to hide it? What if the bolt shears while trying to remove it? Saw off the end?

Dumb questions? I'm not into sport climbing, so I never really learned anything about bolts, or how to remove them.

TIA! :wave:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude :noway:

There was a thread about this about a year ago that ended up being a zillion pages. Basically a crowbar would be needed for most everything, except for glue-ins. Those are hack saw territory. I've been advocating using the type of bolts that Mattp uses that are completely removable, allowing for easy replacement. These only leave a hole that can easily be epoxied and gritted to match the surronding rock.

Actually, most of what I've used have been the typical wedge anchors that most climbers use and they are not readily removable. I am interested in those Hilti Coil anchors, which some climbers seem to really fear, and I have used them on one climb.

cool, thanks for the pointers guys.

I tried searching for a similar thread, but I couldn't find it. But, I never can find anything with the search engine on cc.com anyway, except for some thread about the nodder.