[TR] Secret Canyon Trip 5/3-5/4/08

Last weekend I was invited to go on an overnight Canyoneering trip. It was to be my first experience canyoneering, so I was quite excited. There wee to be 5 of us: my friend Tim, his GF Natalie, and her two friends visiting from Montana: Sarah and Corrie.

Friday afternoon, Tim and I checked out a new climbing area in Sedona I recently found called “The Mystery Spot”, and afterwards dropped a vehicle at Dry Creek for the end run.

Saturday at the crack of noon, we drove out to the Secret Mountain Wilderness area, and after 25 miles of dirt road and a wrong turn, found ourselves at the trailhead. It was a beautiful view from the parking area down-canyon as we gathered our packs:

Secret_Canyon_resize01.jpg

Secret_Canyon_resize02.jpg

The start was a 800-foot plummet down a dirt slope to gain the canyon bottom. Hard to reverse that one, I thought as I descended. Here’s Natalie on the slope down:

Secret_Canyon_resize03.jpg

Corrie psyched to get started:

Secret_Canyon_resize04.jpg

Almost immediately we encountered a tricky log descent:

Secret_Canyon_resize05.jpg

There was a fair bit of water, and plenty of downfall to navigate, making for an exciting afternoon:

Secret_Canyon_resize06.jpg

There was supposed to be a log for one of the descents down an impassable 12-foot drop. “Ken’s Log” had washed away apparently, and we were all thankful for “Tim’s Rope” which we fixed with loops and knots and left for the next party.

After about 3 hours of tricky descending, log-hopping and creek-skirting, we found a flat spot to set up camp. We were lucky to have a water source nearby, as well. The funny thing was that I had predicted we would find this spot just before dark. I was somewhat of a celebrity in the party for my uncanny accuracy in this prediction...

Anyhoo, the next morning I got up early, as usual, and took some pictures, did some rock-hounding and filtered water for the day:

Secret_Canyon_resize07.jpg

Secret_Canyon_resize08.jpg

Nice morning light:

Secret_Canyon_resize09.jpg

I was wandering around when I heard a big “crash” of branches. Looking up, I saw a good-sized black bear, but didn’t have my camera. I yelled “bear!” to the others, but they were asleep. Sarah heard me and got up to look, but the bear was heading back up the slope and was a fair distance away when she got to where I was. The black bears are brown around here, which always throws me a little.

Around 9 the others started to get up and ready:

secret_Canyon_resize10.jpg

Almost immediately we were in the rock canyon:

secret_Canyon_resize11.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize12.jpg

On and on we went, water crossings, wading, log descents and bush-whacking were common. The canyon is beautiful...

secret_Canyon_resize13.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize14.jpg

Around noon we came to a pool that was quite deep. I took the initiative to find out how deep, and as a male in waist-deep water, I can tell you: It was cold!!!! Tim set up a rope to get to the entry of the pool, as it was slippery and narrow. Sarah taking the plunge:

secret_Canyon_resize15.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize16.jpg

Tim grimacing at the chill to his man-parts ( I could relate):

secret_Canyon_resize18.jpg

Lots of downfall everywhere, requiring constant attention and route-finding. We used the rope four times for descents and waded innumerable times. Very different and much more technical than what the guidebook described. Sarah negotiating downfall:

secret_Canyon_resize19.jpg

“Hey, look! A frog!”:

secret_Canyon_resize20.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize21.jpg

There were a lot of frogs in this one area, often times stacked two deep (**ahem**). Mating season in the ponds!

I took a ton of pictures, so I’ll just let them speak for themselves:

secret_Canyon_resize22.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize23.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize24.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize25.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize26.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize27.jpg

Another log descent:

secret_Canyon_resize28.jpg

I even got a little bouldering in:

secret_Canyon_resize29.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize30.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize31.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize32.jpg

On and on we went. The canyon is 10 miles from where we started to the finish, but when you are going 1/4 mile per hour in the canyon, it can seem like a long ways!

secret_Canyon_resize33.jpg

Tim checking out some bear tracks in the mud:

secret_Canyon_resize34.jpg

About mid-afternoon, the walls really started steepening around us:

secret_Canyon_resize35.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize36.jpg

We loves us some log-walkin’, but we hates the damned under-loggin’!:

secret_Canyon_resize37.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize38.jpg

At one point we really hit a blocker - hard descent to a difficult mantle, then down a steep slope to a deep sandy pool.

The crew sizing up the prospects after my initial scouting:

secret_Canyon_resize39.jpg

The mantle:

secret_Canyon_resize40.jpg

The others decided to skirt this pool, but I went for it. Waist-deep, with shifting sands - exciting stuff! Some of the best pictures came from this one little area though, I thought. Glad I went that way:

secret_Canyon_resize41.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize42.jpg

More shots from the afternoon:

secret_Canyon_resize43.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize44.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize45.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize46.jpg

As we descended, things started to get really green, and there was a lot more water than up higher:

secret_Canyon_resize47.jpg

Bear signs were everywhere, from scat to footprints in the mud. These were quite big:

secret_Canyon_resize48.jpg

Eventually, we picked up a trail, and were glad to take it. We started making good time then:

secret_Canyon_resize49.jpg

The trail afforded us better views than being in the clogged canyon:

secret_Canyon_resize50.jpg

Tim had brought a picture of his nephew - a “flat Jeffry” if you will - and Natalie had one of his hands sticking out of her pack:

secret_Canyon_resize51.jpg

Alligator Juniper:

secret_Canyon_resize52.jpg

The large trees started disappearing, and gave way to deciduous trees:

secret_Canyon_resize53.jpg

A huge wall towards the end of the canyon:

secret_Canyon_resize54.jpg

Keepin on truckin’!:

secret_Canyon_resize55.jpg

Amazing fern patch (in the desert?!?):

secret_Canyon_resize56.jpg

Arch:

secret_Canyon_resize57.jpg

Things started opening up as we approached the chapparel:

secret_Canyon_resize58.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize59.jpg

A much-needed break in the diminishing shade:

secret_Canyon_resize60.jpg

Looking back up the canyon:

secret_Canyon_resize61.jpg

secret_Canyon_resize62.jpg

Getting close! Coming out onto the chapparel:

secret_Canyon_resize63.jpg

Manzanita in bloom:

secret_Canyon_resize64.jpg

And finally, a two mile hike on the road to get back to the bottom vehicle (Tim and I were cursed for not driving to the end of the road!):

secret_Canyon_resize65.jpg

What a great trip!

Erik

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome trip Erik! Thanks for sharing it!

FYI, there is either a bug in Firefox 1.5/2.0 or in the board software so that the TR cuts out about 1/2 way through. You can view the TR fully in the new Firefox Beta or in IE, so I suspect Firefox. We ran across this already in Joe P.'s epic SW climbing TR in this forum.