cordilliera blanca guide book

hola chicos y chicas,

i´ve been travelling throught south america for few months now, and i was wondering if anybody knows it´s possible to get/buy a guide book for cordilliera blanca in english somewhere in peru (e.g. huaraz)?

gracias,

joanna.

Edited by pamczak

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can probably stop into Zarela's Hostel in Huaraz and pick up anything you could want there. She's really nice, and has Brad Johnson's book, as well as the topo maps that you don't see here in the states (I think they're Austrian).

I couldn't tell you how to get there exactly, but I know it's one street over, to the right, from the Iglesia La Soledad, if you're going up the hill. That should point you in the right direction. As you walk up the hill, it will be on the left hand side. Ring the buzzer on the metal gate, and one of her employees will come and let you in.

Good luck and have fun down there;)

PS- Just found her address- La Casa de Zarela Julio Arguedas 1263, Soledad Tel: 721694

zarelazAThotmailDOTcom

Edited by Chad_A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received an email (the usual American Alpine Club email newsletter) that states that climbers need to be a member of a UIAA affiliated organization (such as the AAC) to be able to get a permit to go into the usual valleys such as the Llanganuco, Santa Cruz, and Ischinca to climb. Here's what they're saying...might want to check in the Casa de Guias or talk to Chris at Cafe Andino for the official word...

CORDILLERA BLANCA IN 2008: NEW RULES IN EFFECT

Parque National Huascarán, the Peruvian national park that encompasses much of the stunning Cordillera Blanca range, has begun implementing new regulations that require climbers to join a UIAA-affiliated organization such as the American Alpine Club if they want to go to the mountains without a guide. A few years ago, the Peruvians announced that climbers and trekkers in the park would have to hire a guide. Through lobbying efforts of the UIAA and member clubs like the AAC, those rules were eased, but the new regulations still represent a significant change from the previous laissez-faire approach to climbing in Peru.

Chris Benway, who runs Café Andino and the La Cima Logistics climbing and trekking agency in Huaraz, Peru, reports that those wanting to climb without a guide are supposed to apply to the park at least 30 days in advance of their trip, with copies of UIAA-affiliated membership cards for each climber or trekker, passport details, and an itinerary. Once in Huaraz, membership cards must be "legalized" by a notary, which Benway says is a quick and cheap process, and obtain a permit and park pass (about $22/month) at the Huascarán National Park office. Otherwise, climbers and trekkers will be required to hire a UIAGM-certified mountain guide. UIAGM guides are available through Huaraz's Casa de Guias, and visiting UIAGM guides can get authorization from the park and the Casa de Guias to lead clients into the park.

These are the rules, but local experts said enforcement is likely to be spotty, and that the 30-day rule, in particular, may not be enforced. Most likely, park officials only will be stationed at the most popular entry points, such as Musho (Huascarán's normal route) and the Llanganuco, Ishinca, and Santa Cruz valley entrances. Still, it appears that an AAC membership, or membership of another UIAA-affiliated club or federation, should be considered a prerequisite for climbing without a guide in the Cordillera Blanca.

"The new policy, with all its flaws, does have to be seen as a victory over the 'with guides only' policy in the regulations," says Jim Bartle, an AAC member who has worked on conservation and access issues in the Cordillera Blanca since the 1980s. "The principle that people may climb and hike without guides has now been established. That's pretty significant."